PDA

View Full Version : hi

itch
14-09-2010, 11:16
Hi All just thought i'd inroduce myself. new to the off road perverts side of riding. I've been a road cyclist for 20 odd years (raced most of em, and still road racing). Just thought I'd like a change and try some of this off road lark over the winter months ( and maybe summer!!). Interested in the thursday night spins as carr mill is nr me. Look forward to meeting you all.
I'm Dave. btw.

syk0
14-09-2010, 11:24
Hi itch,
WELCOME!!

you will need to do an introductory ride before you join (this is club rules to assess fitness and skill, etc)

Keep an eye on the forums and they will be posted up.
You should also look out for NCR's (Non Club Rides).

itch
14-09-2010, 12:37
thanks syk0 no problem. I'm sure my physical fitness isn't a problem!!!:), bike skills could be questionned though!

if anyone lives near Carr Mill and is out on the bike over the next few weeks can you give us a shout, I'd be up for a spin. tx again.

artillerydave
14-09-2010, 14:26
not another tarmac basher, they are slowly trying to take over the club, like some kind of invisible lycra clad poison............

welcome by the way. (the chairman will like you!)

Hardnut
14-09-2010, 14:48
Maybe spud been talking to the dark side mates and he just letting on. They fancy somthing better :fall:

itch
15-09-2010, 17:17
not another tarmac basher, they are slowly trying to take over the club, like some kind of invisible lycra clad poison............

Oh do pipe down artydave. Your first out the back door when I turn the engine on :batter::batter::batter::bye:

when's the next nobby's ride then? Just so I can put the panniers & stablizers on!!
Ps I don't have to wear those rediculous baggy top n shorts do I? I'm used to dressing as a respectable road commuter

XSTravel
15-09-2010, 17:43
I can vouch for Mr Hitchen's fitness and his enthusiasm for having the last word in any thread! :kiwi:

I too have a road bike (or two) - not sure it's a problem and I thought mountain bikers usually defected to the road not the other way around?

I have been off road for a few months now and I'm enjoying the scenery and the technical challenges of the trails, but I suspect I will still get my road bike out now and again.

andy-cas
15-09-2010, 21:38
Oh do pipe down artydave. Your first out the back door when I turn the engine on :batter::batter::batter::bye:

when's the next nobby's ride then? Just so I can put the panniers & stablizers on!!
Ps I don't have to wear those rediculous baggy top n shorts do I? I'm used to dressing as a respectable road commuter

oooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Geordie Mick
15-09-2010, 21:59
Bowl of milk sir????????

Itch I'd resist the piss taking until you've been out, I think there's been a fair few MAMILS have come along and failed,bailed and forked off never to be seen again, after they've belittled and devalued the sport these guys love and are bloody good at.

When I joined I was a fat 20st lad who could easily manage the Manc2Black bike ride in just over 4 hours on a road bike but couldn't do 5 mile off road on an MTB, I'm not having a go at you just be wary that you're in a group that consistently follow a path of failure, your bravado does however fit in this place very well indeed and would be good to see some substance behind it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tracey
15-09-2010, 22:01

You'll fit right in!:lol: Attack...the best form of defence!
Just don't be coming out looking like a roadie....:rtfm::lol:

itch
16-09-2010, 09:25
Bowl of milk sir????????

Itch I'd resist the piss taking until you've been out, I think there's been a fair few MAMILS have come along and failed,bailed and forked off never to be seen again, after they've belittled and devalued the sport these guys love and are bloody good at.

When I joined I was a fat 20st lad who could easily manage the Manc2Black bike ride in just over 4 hours on a road bike but couldn't do 5 mile off road on an MTB, I'm not having a go at you just be wary that you're in a group that consistently follow a path of failure, your bravado does however fit in this place very well indeed and would be good to see some substance behind it....

firstly...appologies mick. You probably don't know me but I'm sure some of the lads have met me at some point, i'm known by most of the cycling community. I'm normally the first one to take the p!$$ out of other members and have big enough shoulders to have others take the pi$$ out of me. Don't take me seriously, i'm up for the banter!

Secondly.....with all the mtb'ing you've probably done with shop stops your probably 25st now and could do manc-blackole in 6hrs (on a good day):tongue: (just pulling ya leg ;-) and btw I'll not be dropped!!!!!

i look forward to meeting you all and I expect the mick taking from the start otherwise i'm taking all my toys home.

POL924
16-09-2010, 09:25

Better watch out Dave, he has a habit of smashing windscreens on bank holidays :lol: ;)

itch
16-09-2010, 09:30
Better watch out Dave, he has a habit of smashing windscreens on bank holidays :lol: ;)

I was cleared of those charges by a qualified officer!!!:Embarassed:

artillerydave
16-09-2010, 14:49
I'm shaking in my boots..........:hendy::hendy:

Rivi "Steps of Woe" for you my new roadie friend, our last 2 roadies were never seen again after that.................

Geordie Mick
16-09-2010, 15:21
firstly...appologies mick. You probably don't know me but I'm sure some of the lads have met me at some point, i'm known by most of the cycling community. I'm normally the first one to take the p!$$ out of other members and have big enough shoulders to have others take the pi$$ out of me. Don't take me seriously, i'm up for the banter!

Secondly.....with all the mtb'ing you've probably done with shop stops your probably 25st now and could do manc-blackole in 6hrs (on a good day):tongue: (just pulling ya leg ;-) and btw I'll not be dropped!!!!!

i look forward to meeting you all and I expect the mick taking from the start otherwise i'm taking all my toys home.

No need to apologise mate, we meet fire with fire:Tumble:

Out of interest, what steed do you ride (off the tarmac)?

Don't tell us it's a ribble MTB?:tease:

Lisa
16-09-2010, 20:44
Crikey, I can smell the 'something to prove testosterone level' from here - now I remember why I bought a mountain bike rather than a road bike - something to do with the type of bloke you meet!!!!

Can't wait to hear tails of your arrogant ass getting busted by MEN WITH REAL STAMINA in baggies - wait till you meet the SS lot! :ROFL!:

P.S. i'm the opinionated one who falls off and still isn't fit enough to join, but can manage a road ride! Oh, and don't take me too seriously - they're gonna love ya, just keep your lycras under yer baggies! ;)

DaveK
17-09-2010, 09:49

Over half the committee ride road bikes on a regular basis.

One of the committee has been riding road events this year in a woollybacks jersey:blush:

Only reason MTB rides bash roadies is because they can't hack it on the road. With MTB your lack of fitness is easily hidden in the frequent stopping:shutup:

You simply have to be fitter on the road otherwise you are out the back for the rest of the day.

artillerydave
17-09-2010, 10:18
Over half the committee ride road bikes on a regular basis.

Just because many are doing it, doesn't make it right Dave...........

Pieeater
17-09-2010, 10:31
Everybody in the club is getting fitter which is great but thats not really the point.
People post fast times but do they have a fun time.
I dont think the jury is out on whether MTBing or roadie rides provide the most fun. I know which I will be doing for years to come,
To me road riding is just bland dull and dangerous with all the kn0bhead drivers around which equals NO FUN.

DaveK
17-09-2010, 12:03
Don't knock another aspects of the sport, just because of stereotypes. This hating roadie sh1te is not good for the club's image.

If you seriously want to improve your overall MTB ability, then doing a chain gang once a week is probably your best option.

Pieeater
17-09-2010, 12:12
Don't knock another aspects of the sport, just because of stereotypes. This hating roadie sh1te is not good for the club's image.

If you seriously want to improve your overall MTB ability, then doing a chain gang once a week is probably your best option.

Too dangerous Dave I would fall asleep- and I think its one of the most stupidest things you have ever written.
How would this help getting over big rocks and drop offs Mr Two Time Stack of the Year?

MikeyL
17-09-2010, 12:15
Welcome fellow roadie :yay:

I agree with you Dave, i admit im far happier riding road and i love riding in
chaingangs, deffo gets you fitter, but if you take it as a whole, we are all riding bikes, ok the surface we ride on may differ, but were still riding bikes.

DaveK
17-09-2010, 12:25
Too dangerous Dave I would fall asleep- and I think its one of the most stupidest things you have ever written.
How would this help getting over big rocks and drop offs Mr Two Time Stack of the Year?

I didn't say do road work it all the time, just once a week. Do other rides to improve your MTB skills.

If you were fitter you could:

1) Ride up more stuff
2) Be more alert as you are not tired
3) Ride better lines on the descents, as you have more energy
4) Not fall asleep in-front of the TV, which annoys the missus

Pieeater
17-09-2010, 12:30
Or you could get fitter by Single speeding (15 - 25 miles) once a week off road . Thats what I do :good:

Tracey
17-09-2010, 12:36
I actually think the Tour de France guys must be THE fittest people on the planet.

Roading is good for fitness, it's just mind numbingly DULL and BORING...in my humble opinion.:)

Tracey
17-09-2010, 12:38
............Mr Two Time Stack of the Year?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

POL924
17-09-2010, 12:45
I find road riding boring after 2hr mark, it does have its place but find mtbing much more interesting to me.
Also there is a difference in types of rider, as a club we are generally out for fun and social side, quite a few roadies we come across are from competitive backgrounds and see cycling this way.

Was going to write mire but decided to go for a mcdonalds instead. Nom nom nom.

Tracey
17-09-2010, 12:50
Was going to write mire........

:lol: normal then.....:turd: kidding! before anyone gets their lycra in a twist! LOL

Eric A
17-09-2010, 13:26
For Pete's Sake "Road riding", THIS IS AN MTB FORUM !.

So onto a more serious note:
Did anyone catch the last couple of rounds of the Tour of Britain ITV4, great stuff:good:. And by the way, just noticed they have knocked another 200 off the Halfords Boardman Carbon Road Bike. Was very well specced at 1199 and now only 999. Got to be considered a bargain:tongue:
Welcome Itch, hope to see you out soon Lycra or otherwise

DaveK
17-09-2010, 13:47
Road riding = Improved fitness
MTB riding = FUN
XC Racing = Fitness + FUN
SS = Dodgy knees + varicose veins

I've recorded the Tour of Britain but not got round to watching it. Yesterday on the M6 spotted lots of team coaches (Saxobank, Garmin ...) Good advertising for cycling in general.

mliptrot
17-09-2010, 14:25
Roading is good for fitness, it's just mind numbingly DULL and BORING...in my humble opinion.:)

Maybe roadies are Zen masters... able to tolerate situations that would create intolerable boredom in those with weaker minds.

itch
17-09-2010, 14:38
Roadies V's MTBers, only one way to sort it out - FIGHT!!! Lol
I've decided there's too much bickering going on here so I'm gonna join the winter track league as they seem quite a friendly bunch not like you lot :bye:

lads n lassies calm down we need a little more love in here:friends:
it doesn't matter what makes you fitter, it's how much you enjoy it. Personally I fancy a change to riding road all the time, I've heard the woollies are a good bunch so decided to give it a try. I'm looking for a few hrs mid week with the odd weekend without upsetting the misses:blush: all day rides with cafe stops I don't have the time! I just wanna get out n have fun and who knows maybe some of you may try the odd race for a change.
As for who's fitter I'm the guy who opens the back door and slings you out :batter:

artillerydave
17-09-2010, 14:40
As for the lycra thing, my understanding of it was this:

Riding off road needs a bit of conkers (especially if you follow Chunks lines!) so mountain bikers wear baggies to protect their modesty.

Road riding requires no conkers at all, hence lycra.........................

mliptrot
17-09-2010, 14:49
No, most mountain bikers are fat...

artillerydave
17-09-2010, 14:51
fat with big conkers though.......................

POL924
17-09-2010, 14:56
No, most mountain bikers are fat...

Yes sir i am and i dont give a monkies :Bootyshake:

Itch, Crossy said to take no notice of you cause your slow and that he kicks your **** everywhere. I'm only the messenger ;)

Pieeater
17-09-2010, 15:03
Maybe roadies are Zen masters... able to tolerate situations that would create intolerable boredom in those with weaker minds.

You maybe right on this

I will consider you as the Zen master at typing bollox:Tongue:

I will let Dave K be (in my mind) your Padawan. :ROFL!:

DaveK
17-09-2010, 15:08
Roadies V's MTBers, only one way to sort it out - FIGHT!!! Lol
I've decided there's too much bickering going on here so I'm gonna join the winter track league as they seem quite a friendly bunch not like you lot :bye:

See you at the velodrome, minus one lap:Bootyshake:

Hardnut
17-09-2010, 15:20
cud try this. Clicky (http://soreen.createsend4.com/T/ViewEmail/r/557099B197B90014/D4DE01534BAD60AB0F8C96E86323F7F9)
*hope it works*

spesh
17-09-2010, 19:21
Dave give us a bell mate on 07962022913. I am an old mate of Andy Tinsley's and Peter Jones and have heard of how fit you are on a bike. I live in Moss Bank so not far from you. Our lot are very jealous of us who have road bikes aren't you Art Dave and Hendy but we all have a good bit of banter about the dark side as they call it. By the way our lot this guy would leave anyone in the club for dead on a climb but I don't know how he would be on a tech descent though.

Hendy
17-09-2010, 19:37
Just as well it ain't a racing club then eh?;)

Tracey
17-09-2010, 20:27
intolerable boredom......

You've hit the nail on the head there! :Bootyshake::lol: Just kidding....each to their own.....roading is seriously good for the fitness....I wish I had a commute that would allow me to ride a road bike!

As for all mtn bikers being fat, you should've been on the IOM, ALL FAT! :ROFL!:

Lisa
17-09-2010, 20:29
T'is an intersting debate though. Seriously my ex was Mr E'tape (is that how you spell it?) and road biked the Alps for fun - but as soon as he was on an uphill on a mtb he felt it. Only difference was going uphill on smooth tarmac and going uphill on rough ground. He even admitted 'it's a different type of fitness' - and he was usually too arrogant to admit defeat in anything.

Shame about Itch, but his initial post was arsey ... I know I have had my moments :blush:, but not on my first post and only when I'm bored and Davey is on-line. Have to say it, but do you think he's called Itch cos the lycra is too tight? :lol: And what happened to the broad 'I can hack the piss taking shoulders'?

Anyway, am off to peddle on Geoff's bike :Tumble:

P.S. Hendy - you'd have had him!

Tracey
17-09-2010, 20:50
do you think he's called Itch cos the lycra is too tight? :lol:

:lol: There's a whole thread somewhere devoted to bum cream! :lol:

DaveK
17-09-2010, 21:18
:lol: There's a whole thread somewhere devoted to bum cream! :lol:

I just knew this thread would degrade to bottom humour at some point:Bootyshake:

itch
17-09-2010, 21:49
Newt lisa me arsey..... Never! And comparing moi to a sportive rider.....hmmmm really!! I don't have the gut....yet!!!

I'd be quite happy to race the top Woolley rider up shalley brow and give him a minute head start! I'd still win to the top.............. Hmmmmmm lol.

Anyway I'm not intimidated as my conkers are clearly And proudly on display through my lycra, don't need to hide insecurity through baggy shorts:cool:

I've had a very nice induction to the club and look forward to my day release to meet like minded nutters for some harmless banter n fun

Ps don't take this serious folks :Bootyshake:

Geordie Mick
17-09-2010, 22:01
I'm fuggin loving this banter, cant wait til the first tour de conkers commences.....

Lisa
17-09-2010, 22:06
Nice one - you have returned! Hope you're lycra's aren't red - they do nothing for conkers other than highlight their squished-ness in photo's - I have evidence, somewhere.

You will have fun!

Lisa
17-09-2010, 22:11
P.S. do you shave your legs :lol:

Pieeater
18-09-2010, 10:14
I'd be quite happy to race the top Woolley rider up shalley brow :

That old chestnut. Boring.

If you are after a local challenge ride up the steepest part of Billinge lump (off road of course) without dabbing - any roadie who does that gets a thumbs up from me.

Tracey
18-09-2010, 10:26
Any roadie who wants to see what real 'conkers out' mountain bike racing is about should go and do the Megavalanche in Alpe d'Huez (you tube it but the footage doesn't do justice to the steepness or death defying drops to the left for 75% of the route). No DH smooth tarmac in sight!

Eric A
18-09-2010, 10:47
Nice one - you have returned! Hope you're lycra's aren't red - they do nothing for conkers other than highlight their squished-ness in photo's - I have evidence, somewhere.

You will have fun!

Your surely not referring to these conker photographs are you :rofl:
Left to right:
Spesh, Spud, Dave K, Itch, Pol,............I may be somewhere in the bunch

Geordie Mick
18-09-2010, 11:27
Eric, pleeeeassssssee! Can we have a women's one now with some top flight 'camel toe' action:yes:

Hendy
18-09-2010, 13:39
Eric, pleeeeassssssee! Can we have a women's one now with some top flight 'camel toe' action:yes:

:ROFL!::ROFL!: Seconded!!

Hendy
18-09-2010, 13:41
I'd be quite happy to race the top Woolley rider up shalley brow and give him a minute head start! I'd still win to the top.............. Hmmmmmm lol.

Ps don't take this serious folks :Bootyshake:
Hmmm, would be interesting against Rodcouncil or Seb;)

Pabs
18-09-2010, 14:42

Just need to get them out with the club!!

Welcome itch see you out soon.

itch
18-09-2010, 15:10

Well if they have a 4ltr 4x4 we may have a competition :bye:

lisa sounds like ur fetish is coming out for shaved legs, deal with it and shave your own ;-)

as I've been mentioned in the picture line up, does this mean I'm initiated into the club?? Or do I have to go through the secret spanking. If so I'm wearing my shorts without padding!!:Bootyshake:

Spesh I'll be intouch in the week, tx for the offer your a gent.

This is one hell of a thread, any chance I can go out with just the ladies section and give em a proper mashing!!! Lol ha ha

caio

Lisa
18-09-2010, 15:33
Your surely not referring to these conker photographs are you :rofl:
Left to right:
Spesh, Spud, Dave K, Itch, Pol,............I may be somewhere in the bunch

Yep...them's the ones :rofl:

Lisa
18-09-2010, 15:39
lisa sounds like ur fetish is coming out for shaved legs, deal with it and shave your own ;-)

.... bugger, got me sussed ... NOT :tongue:

This is one hell of a thread, any chance I can go out with just the ladies section and give em a proper mashing!!! Lol ha ha

caio

I'm crap, so no sport there .... Tracey, Hells and Karen would show you a thing or fifty though :grin:

GeeBee
18-09-2010, 16:09
T'is an intersting debate though. Seriously my ex was Mr E'tape (is that how you spell it?) and road biked the Alps for fun - but as soon as he was on an uphill on a mtb he felt it. Only difference was going uphill on smooth tarmac and going uphill on rough ground. He even admitted 'it's a different type of fitness' - and he was usually too arrogant to admit defeat in anything.

Shame about Itch, but his initial post was arsey ... I know I have had my moments :blush:, but not on my first post and only when I'm bored and Davey is on-line. Have to say it, but do you think he's called Itch cos the lycra is too tight? :lol: And what happened to the broad 'I can hack the piss taking shoulders'?

Anyway, am off to peddle on Geoff's bike :Tumble:

P.S. Hendy - you'd have had him!

i will start by saying that i enjoy road cycling to watch, and dont mind up to an hour road training ride on my own. ive no real urge to go out in a chain gang.

when i was in the US a couple of weeks back, i bought one of their MTB mags to read and it had an article about roadie versus mtb.

they got some lad ive never heard of (did quite well in the xc world champs i think) and andy schlek (for those who dont follow road racing - he came 2nd in last two TdF).

they put them both on a spesh tarmac and sent them individually up a road climb in the US, and schlek put a minute into the mountain biker.

they then put them on s-works epics and sent them seperately up the same hill off road. the mountain biker put ten minutes into schlek.

whilst you need fitness for both "codes" it isnt the be all and end all if youre carrying a few pounds on an mtb, but you need to be a better rider for mtb.

just look at the difference in the mags - buy a mountain bike mag to read about riding bikes, and buy a road bike mag to find out what to eat.

thats not a criticism of the road mags, as i buy them for that very reason, and as they say, each to their own.

Terry
18-09-2010, 16:36
I'v found something way more boring than road riding. READING THIS THREAD!

itch
18-09-2010, 16:56
Why can't we all just get along:friends:

mtb mag saying mtb rider best hmmmm! nice independant study done there!! Mediocre xc rider only losing a min to andy hmmm! I suspect the mtb rider is on a lowish wage and if he only lost a min me suspects he'd be snapped up pretty quick by a number of teams for a very nice comfortable contract for the tour!! Each are bloody good at their own discipline - end of!
Believe none of which you read, and only half of what you see :off:

btw who'd win in a fight, a badger or fox?? Answers to the usual address whoppers!!!:tease:

Budmeister
18-09-2010, 17:49
Welcome to the friendly club, Itch!

(Closet roadie here)

Lisa
18-09-2010, 17:59
btw who'd win in a fight, a badger or fox?? Answers to the usual address whoppers!!!:tease:
I believe I am suitably qualified to answer that one ... badger, for certain - unless you pulled its teeth and claws out beforehand :tease: to you too Mr Arsey!!! :tongue:

Tracey
18-09-2010, 18:52
Itch, you can ride tandem with me on next year's IOM E2E!....:tease::lol: I am VERY slow so you'll be doing ALL the work! Hehe....

Hmmmm.....just need a 30lb tandem for Christmas....Tyre!!!!:grin:

POL924
18-09-2010, 19:33

I thought we were :Embarassed:

As a thought why not get out on the MTL (Mary Townley Loop) tomoz, costs around 20 on the day 47miles long but quite a good workout. Probably the hardest ride i have done to date. (although i did it the other way which is the hardest way ;))

knottyknotty
18-09-2010, 19:41
yeah why not join us for the townley itch only 47 miles
surely nothing for a 100 mile plus roadie

Geordie Mick
18-09-2010, 21:32
yeah why not join us for the townley itch only 47 miles
surely nothing for a 100 mile plus roadie

He'll be shaving his legs.......

GeeBee
18-09-2010, 23:53

mtb mag saying mtb rider best hmmmm! nice independant study done there!! Mediocre xc rider only losing a min to andy hmmm! I suspect the mtb rider is on a lowish wage and if he only lost a min me suspects he'd be snapped up pretty quick by a number of teams for a very nice comfortable contract for the tour!! Each are bloody good at their own discipline - end of!
Believe none of which you read, and only half of what you see :off:

facts stand as they are. schlek is an awesome rider - was hoping he would take TdF this year, but not to be - mainly as he doesnt know not to change gear when putting the power down uphill.

the mtb guy is no slouch - came top 10 in worlds at xc. plus, this was an uphill test - supposedly the domain of the roadie - had the offroad stuff been downhill, could have been a bigger margin.

as i said, i enjoy pro cycling to watch, just food for thought.

its that whole thing about walking a mile in another mans shoes - just seems the mountain biker could walk a damn sight further.

itch
19-09-2010, 07:48
:owww:Geebee all those energy bars you need to ride up billinge are making you hyper!
All serious athletes know that darts players are the real deal with outstanding endurance based solely on a bag of henry and best bitter, they put even the best downhill rider to shame. Remember you read it here first!!:Tongue: btw read less and ride more, it's the future for weight loss!!

Dirt Diva
19-09-2010, 08:07
:) quite a funny guy! You'll do! I like a bit of entertainment on a ride. You could probably keep everyone smiling at the top of the hills while they hang on for me!

But its even more entertaining when your confidence outweighs your ability on the 'dark side' of the moor up Rivi. I'd let you go first so I didn't miss any OTB action! ;)

Welcome! :)

JohnClimber
19-09-2010, 08:55
Looks like I've missed all the fun with this thread (very unlike me)

Hi Itch, welcome:good:

Someone asked earlier but you might have missed it. What do you ride?

Geordie Mick
19-09-2010, 10:39
Looks like I've missed all the fun with this thread (very unlike me)

Hi Itch, welcome:good:

Someone asked earlier but you might have missed it. What do you ride?

A skinny bike with colours that match roadies attire adorned with a thousand logos like tampax and immac, for which they get feck all royalties. If HTC, SKY etc want me to look that silly they can bloody well pay me, otherwise I'll look anonymously sponsored by Greggs and coca cola!

itch
19-09-2010, 10:58
Gorgey Mick if we are stereotyping! your fat with baggy clothes (making you look like a chimp on a bike!). Ride a mile-stop for a while, all the gear-no idea. I'd still beat you to the front of the que oobi-doo lol

ha ha come on stop bickering, I'm pulling your leg.
I'd love to be sponsored by greggs n coke, can you put a word in for me-salad dodger:cake:
be good folks I'm a newbie!!

Pabs
19-09-2010, 11:08
I think tight Lycra is very underrated. Need to do more races so I can wear my bib shorts more.
Just to add fuel I think my addict is better looking than my spark!
Love this thread!

POL924
19-09-2010, 11:22
Pabs you look like Pob 691

Wearing lycra would be an improvement hahahahaha only kidding look i put a smiley face so its ok ;)

GeeBee
19-09-2010, 11:29
:owww:Geebee all those energy bars you need to ride up billinge are making you hyper!
All serious athletes know that darts players are the real deal with outstanding endurance based solely on a bag of henry and best bitter, they put even the best downhill rider to shame. Remember you read it here first!!:Tongue: btw read less and ride more, it's the future for weight loss!!

talk about stretching a metaphor to breaking point.

god knows what kind of response i would have got if i said i DIDNT like pro cycling.

anyway, theres obviously no doubting your fitness, so enjoy being first to the top of the hill - just dont cause a pile up behind you on the way down.

Pabs
19-09-2010, 15:42
Pabs you look like Pob 691

Wearing lycra would be an improvement hahahahaha only kidding look i put a smiley face so its ok ;)

Why you think everyone calls me pob! :-) the funny thing is one of my old school mates looks more like him than me!

Captain Spud
19-09-2010, 16:15
bloody hell what have I been missing whilst ive been away,took me ages to read all this. sounds like the nerve is still raw with some people about roadies much like my **** when I ve been out on the road,need to get some tips on cream etc. Welcome itchy we will whip you into some sort of shape so you can go as fast on a MTB as a road bike

Pieeater
19-09-2010, 17:27
otherwise I'll look anonymously sponsored by Greggs and coca cola!

After what you said you consumed on thursday I think Mars will make you an offer.

POL924
19-09-2010, 18:10
Welcome itchy we will whip you into some sort of shape so you can go as fast on a MTB as a road bike

We havent managed it with you yet :lol:

Lisa
19-09-2010, 18:17
bloody hell what have I been missing whilst ive been away,took me ages to read all this. sounds like the nerve is still raw with some people about roadies much like my **** when I ve been out on the road,need to get some tips on cream etc. Welcome itchy we will whip you into some sort of shape so you can go as fast on a MTB as a road bike

I don't think it's necessarily a case of being raw about roadies - though why any bloke would want to stare at tarmac and other blokes' lycra clad arses is beyond me - there are roadies in the club that we know and love. I think it has more to do with the arrogant attitude of some - maybe? :dontknow:

Either way, Itchy bum has built his pedestal soooo high and obviously karts his bollox around in a barrow they're so big (when not squished) that I only hope one of you records his first stack so I can have a reet good laugh. I have a feeling I know where stack of the year will go :lol::lol::lol:

Only pulling your leg Itchy bottom! Don't take it seriously.

DaveK
19-09-2010, 19:23

3rd October and I will let you set off 1 minute ahead

knottyknotty
19-09-2010, 19:39
3rd October and I will let you set off 1 minute ahead

gauntlets down !!
knew that was coming
thought it would have been pabs or kiwi or maybe phil first though

will itch be on a mountain bike with proper tyres?

Lisa
19-09-2010, 19:49
gauntlets down !!
knew that was coming
thought it would have been pabs or kiwi or maybe phil first though

will itch be on a mountain bike with proper tyres?

He has still failed to disclose his steed - I'm betting on a Chippy with baskets to put his boblox in :secret:

i think he'll manage uphill, but maybe not as quickly as he gives himself credit for, it's the downhill that'll get him :Bristow:

Have to give himsome credit though, we haven't had a 5 page bicker thread for ages! :lol: - where's Davey?

Geordie Mick
19-09-2010, 19:52
I think we should all turn up one morning and have a race, myself included. We all chip a tenner into the pot and the first man/woman t' top chooses a charidee to donate the money too, I think itch may donate it to NW Air Ambulance for his trip back down :-)

Pieeater
19-09-2010, 20:07
Sod the Tarmac as I said before - off road local challenges are

Steepest climb up to the lump at Mecca with no dabs.
Belmont descent in the dark - then ride back up.
No brains 2 at Delamere
Steps of woe at Rivi.

Lisa
19-09-2010, 20:20
I think we should all turn up one morning and have a race, myself included. We all chip a tenner into the pot and the first man/woman t' top chooses a charidee to donate the money too, I think itch may donate it to NW Air Ambulance for his trip back down :-)

If you do, make sure it's proper off-road! He's banking on his ability to hack up-hill tarmac. Like I said, my ex was Mr E'tape and struggled up-hill on the rough. Similarly, he could go at scary speeds downhill - on tarmac! Oh, and Itchy bum - re your comment to GeeBee - Mr E'tape was full of energy drinks etc., so back off on that one!

Unless he's a secret mtb'er in the background, he's in for a suprise - and Itchy bum, stop posting and put your boblox where your mouth is (even though they are clearly already there) and get out on your Chippy! Instead of being determined to have the last word let's see some of the substance you claim to have. Would love to join you, but I can admit to being too crap!

Geordie Mick
19-09-2010, 21:02
Sod the Tarmac as I said before - off road local challenges are

Steepest climb up to the lump at Mecca with no dabs.
Belmont descent in the dark - then ride back up.
No brains 2 at Delamere
Steps of woe at Rivi.

Didn't mean on tarmac Phil, perhaps we could each of your locations as a stage of the series?? Gives everyone a fair chance to prove themselves over more than one event? I'm up for it, knowing I won't win but wanting not to be last!

itch
19-09-2010, 21:06
Lol I'm back!!
And I thought the Ashurst tri lads were easy to winde up!

Lisa why so hostile? It's not my fault yer legs are hairy and your ex was a chunky sportive rider:lol: just teasing.

Guys stop being so competitive n insecure, read the posts... 4ltr 4x4 will win!! Deal with it dudes.

Well I've certainly made an impression and look forward to changing those opinions!!! Even better, I can't wait to rest my big nuts on yer head:Tongue:
well it's certainly got your attention and should create a good group ride with plenty of banter, I'll be the first laughing if I come off (anyway the big airbags will break the fall!!).

Ps don't judge bike on ability I ain't that shallow and if u wanna take the pi$$ it's a claud buttler something or other.

Hi everyone (start again shall we!) btw I look forward to starting more new threads with plenty banter!!!

Pieman
19-09-2010, 21:18
Hahaha this has to be the best thread i've seen to date! :)

Lisa
19-09-2010, 21:20
Lisa why so hostile? It's not my fault yer legs are hairy and your ex was a chunky sportive rider:lol: just teasing.

Me, hostile? Never! But you have come across as an arrogant tosser and have insulted several folk who I happen to think of alot of and some I haven't yet met but are Woollies.

As for my legs - sweetheart, they are as smooth as a babies bottom, my nails are perfectly manicured and I go out, and come back, smelling of Chanel ... but mud splattered and a bit bruised :tongue:

Oh, and the ex was as arrogant as you - which is why he's an ex :rofl:

itch
19-09-2010, 21:36
On behalf of newt lisa I appologise if I have offended anyone she cares about.
Is that ok hairy Mary?

............and if I haven't offended you ..............ha ha lol:off:

Lisa
19-09-2010, 21:41
On behalf of newt lisa I appologise if I have offended anyone she cares about.
Is that ok hairy Mary?

............and if I haven't offended you ..............ha ha lol:off:

Apology accepted. The only way you have offended me is via your bad spelling and grammar :off:

JohnClimber
19-09-2010, 21:54
if u wanna take the pi$$ it's a claud buttler something or other.

Nothing wrong with Claud Butler, my first mtb was a Claud Butler Rock.
Ace bike and I still don't know why I dumped the frame.

POL924
19-09-2010, 22:17
Itch, i'll go for a mtb ride with you, as for going out on the road bikes then no chance. Went out with Harry Mc once and he killed me. :lol:

Milky bar kid is a roadie who loves racing.

Pieman
19-09-2010, 22:25
Itch, i'll go for a mtb ride with you, as for going out on the road bikes then no chance. Went out with Harry Mc once and he killed me. :lol:

Milky bar kid is a roadie who loves racing.

Bugger off Pollitt i haven't touched any of my bikes for nearly 3 months. :tease: It's Spesh and Captain you want to watch :off:

Busyfool
20-09-2010, 10:37
Posted this before (ages ago) but thought it's kind of apt for this thread:

http://www.wellsphere.com/biking-article/mountain-biker-wins-road-race-on-his-hardtail/765916

Thread closed. :)

itch
20-09-2010, 18:44
Busyfool you've gone an killed the moment!! I bet it happens regular for you:Guitar:

Pabs
20-09-2010, 19:03
Posted this before (ages ago) but thought it's kind of apt for this thread:

http://www.wellsphere.com/biking-article/mountain-biker-wins-road-race-on-his-hardtail/765916

Thread closed. :)

I had so forgotten about that storey! Absolute quality!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI

XSTravel
20-09-2010, 19:03
Funny how everyone wants to know what you ride - roadies never ask this in their fora - perhaps because talent isn't dependent on the bike, but on the rider.

Went to Llandegla yesterday - most amused by all the ogling of everyone's bikes. OK so your bike wears 500 grams less - doesn't really matter if you have 8 extra kilos round your middle. :lol:

A bit like red football boots, you should probably only wear them if you are any good!:yes: :lol:

Lisa
20-09-2010, 19:26
Funny how everyone wants to know what you ride - roadies never ask this in their fora - perhaps because talent isn't dependent on the bike, but on the rider.

Went to Llandegla yesterday - most amused by all the ogling of everyone's bikes. OK so your bike wears 500 grams less - doesn't really matter if you have 8 extra kilos round your middle. :lol:

A bit like red football boots, you should probably only wear them if you are any good!:yes: :lol:

I think you might find it has something to do with safety - making sure you aren't going to turn out on something that's going to snap in two on your first outing and cause you to break your neck :yes:

Roadies might not ask on their forum, but they oggle when you turn up for your first ride ;)

Tracey
20-09-2010, 20:05

Can of worms!

Think mountain bikers ask about bikes because there are more variations to choose from, e.g:

Full suspension
Hard tail + front suspension
Fully rigid
Kiwi's bikes;)
Downhill bikes
XC bikes
All mountain bikes
The list is endless

Don't know much about road bikes but think they're all fully rigid?:unsure:

I've seen kids do amazing techie stuff on the cheapest of mountain bikes....

Budmeister
20-09-2010, 20:13
It isnt about the bike.....

XSTravel
20-09-2010, 20:43
I think you might find it has something to do with safety - making sure you aren't going to turn out on something that's going to snap in two on your first outing and cause you to break your neck :yes:

Yes agree, on the forum and thanks for the concern .....

....... at Trail Centres just envy or snobbery or mine is bigger than yours :lol:

itch
21-09-2010, 07:41
mine are!!!. Lol:ROFL!::cool:

Lisa
21-09-2010, 20:44

Unless your nuts are bigger than my dogs (which I doubt) I can't take you seriously!

Bear in mind he stands at over 6ft, so is probably taller than you too :tongue:

syk0
21-09-2010, 21:18
Bloody HELL!!
The thumbnail of them are bigger than mine!!
(I am looking at them on a 26" computer screen though, is that bigger than your's? :lol: )

Lisa
21-09-2010, 21:29
He's a big boy! :lol::lol::lol:

C'mon Itchy **** - square up to that pair! :Bootyshake:

Lisa
21-09-2010, 21:36

Is this you? :lol::lol::lol:

Can't help it .... sorry, you've opened the door!

POL924
21-09-2010, 22:00
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=700&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1285098040 (http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=700&d=1285098040)
</FIELDSET>
<!-- / attachments --><!-- sig -->Thought that was Hemlock then :lol:

Geordie Mick
21-09-2010, 22:56
This place has gone to the dogs........

Bollocks.:ROFL!:

roger
23-09-2010, 11:19
Ignoring the last few illustrations and comments .....

Biking = fun and fitness, whatever the style of your bike and appendages.

Look forward to meeting you, Itch

-R

Hemlock
23-09-2010, 13:19
We can always rely on Roger to ruin a good thread :Tumble:
Only kidding - we're just all so childish !

itch
27-09-2010, 14:50
Well I've just had a cheeky half hour on the blue hills nr billinge and have to admit my bike skills are sh!te !!! Twice slid off on my ass, my thinks I need a book on idiots guide to staying upright going downhill. I'm sure you lot would have cherished the moment :fall::grin:

Pabs
27-09-2010, 16:19
Well I've just had a cheeky half hour on the blue hills nr billinge and have to admit my bike skills are sh!te !!! Twice slid off on my ass, my thinks I need a book on idiots guide to staying upright going downhill. I'm sure you lot would have cherished the moment :fall::grin:

The two bikes are totally different. It's weird I'm very comfortable on a mountainbike. Bike handling is spot on comfortable enough with the wheels moving around underneath me. Put me on aboard a road bike and it's all gone, I'm a newbie.
The beauty of Mtbing is learning, we all crash ( Pete doesn't but he goes dead slow) as long as you get up and dust off n finish the ride you will be .
The best time to learn is the winter wet rocks slippy mud hidden roots all test the skills. Falling off is part of it.
At the end of the day you can use your fitness to catch us back up!

Daveyboy
27-09-2010, 16:23
The two bikes are totally different. It's weird I'm very comfortable on a mountainbike. Bike handling is spot on comfortable enough with the wheels moving around underneath me. Put me on aboard a road bike and it's all gone, I'm a newbie.
The beauty of Mtbing is learning, we all crash ( Pete doesn't but he goes dead slow) as long as you get up and dust off n finish the ride you will be .
The best time to learn is the winter wet rocks slippy mud hidden roots all test the skills. Falling off is part of it.
At the end of the day you can use your fitness to catch us back up!

Christ Pabs, don't encourage people to fall off!!! It costs me a bomb in first aid equipment just for you!!!

Pabs
27-09-2010, 16:52
Christ Pabs, don't encourage people to fall off!!! It costs me a bomb in first aid equipment just for you!!!

When pushing the envelope accidents do occur! Cos I'm so frikin quick when I do fall generally I break things cut things endanger the rock strata etc.

Hendy
27-09-2010, 17:56
When pushing the envelope accidents do occur! Cos I'm so frikin quick when I do fall generally I break things cut things endanger the rock strata etc.

Nowt like blowing your own trumpet!;)

artillerydave
27-09-2010, 17:58
he's blowing something.......

itch
27-09-2010, 18:01
I once got tromboned off a delightful lady but that's another story!!! ;-)

Lisa
27-09-2010, 19:19

:Yahoo:Not just me then!!!

POL924
27-09-2010, 20:05

Hmm guess you must have been out with the Woollyroadie group cause the real bikers were at Dele :ROFL!:

stitch
26-08-2011, 15:40
I see youve now met my old friend Dave itch:grin:

jonny gibbo
28-08-2011, 19:10
Mr Itch hiding his light under a bushel as usual.

Ever so shy, modest and diplomatic.

I know him personally.

And he can certainly turn the screw when he needs to.

Been on training camps abroad and raced on the road against him.

Hi Dave:)

This is the last bike i saw him on 2348

jonny gibbo
28-08-2011, 19:37
Only joking!!!!!

Top bloke.

loves a laugh.

Can take a joke.

And would of been up there with the best today if i didnt put his family first:good: