Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello :)

Hello all,

I think that I am, in the truest sense of the word, a 'newbie.' I came across this site looking for places to go in and around St. Helens and couldnt let it pass without saying hi because it's such a good site!

I have just updated my very old and very heavy bike, and I'm looking to spend some quality time getting muddy and building my confidence up with the new one!

Jaclyn

Hello and welcome. I'm a relative noob myself. The members here are a great bunch.

Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome Jaclyn, There will be a newbie ride posted for June so keep your eyes peeled to the site. Also look out for some NCR (Non Club Rides) as you can go on these without an assessment but check with the ride leader first as they vary tremendously in terms of route distance and type of terrain covered. Areyou doing any riding at the moment, please psot up a few details then the guys/gals have a better indication on what to invite you along to. Defo get yourself booked on the next newbie ride tho.
      Cheers
      Eric

Comment

Howdy

Comment

Hello,

I suppose the best way to describe myself would be that during my early teenage years i was never off a bike and would tackle (or try and fail!) to tackle most things. After a lengthy period where I didn't go near a bike I have very recently rediscovered it (first on my old bike, and then on my partners Specialized rockhopper, which was much better, if a little big!).

So I suppose after that vague and not so simple explanation I would say that I'm starting somewhere near the bottom ability wise. My fitness is not great, but that tends to improve as quickly as it deteriorates, from experience!

Thanks for the advice, it'd be good to hear from some of the newbies too as to where they are up to in their journey and what has most helped them make improvements.

I'm dead keen to make this a much bigger part of my life

Jaclyn

Comment

We have all been noobies at some point in time. The best advice for fitness would jsut the case of getting out when u can were ever u can. I personaly started riding to work which is under 5 miles so nothing fantasic, but if possible its a good way start fitness and good start to the day personaly.
            Other wise plenty of NRC rides, tech jsut comes in after putting rides under your belt nothing wrong with looking at somthing and not doing it as you can always go back another day to try it.

Comment

Hi jaclyn , from my own experience with the club I would advise putting quite a few hills into your training rides, I was doing plenty of mileage on my rides but I still struggle on the hills fitnesswise ,you'll get there in the end though ( so they keep telling me !!! )

Comment

Brill, Thanks for your help and welcomes guys!

Comment

Welcome Jaclyn, fitness wise there are plenty of non club rides to help you build up your fitness. Get your name down the for the newbie ride as soon as its posted up as once you get through that and start riding with some of the members (club rides or non club) they'll really be able to help technique wise - i joined in Jan and by watching / listening to the fellas that really know what they're doing i'm having a go at stuff i wouldn't have dreamed off 6 months ago. In the meantime just get out there and get some miles under your belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Woolyback Paul View Post
                    i'm THROWING MYSELF OFF stuff i wouldn't have dreamed off 6 months ago.
                    Fixed that for you....

Comment

Great stuff... wowsers, what a lovely bunch you are!!
                      ... and I like your banter! haha

Comment

Welcome Jaclyn!!

We need more girls in the club that's for sure!! It was never more obvious when away this weekend with 39 blokes and just one other girl. If you are willing to overlook the obvious differences and gloss over the fact that they talk to you like you're one of the lads then you'll love it!! I do - it's the best club around!

Get out on the hills and grow some balls and you'll do well!!

Where do you live and ride currently?

Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt Diva
                          Welcome Jaclyn!!

We need more girls in the club that's for sure!!
                          I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Comment

Oh... Welcome jac!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Comment

Hi Jaclyn,
                              Welcome to the club, great bunch. Need to try yourself out on a few Newbie or more informal non-club rides perhaps just to get an idea of the fitness level and the techie stuff will develop over time.
                              Not sure about what Karen said about there not being enough girls in the club, there were quite a few I believe at Kirroughtree who bailed on the McMoab shute

Comment

Working...
                              X