PDA

View Full Version : Hello :)

Jaclyn99
09-05-2011, 10:48
Hello all,

I think that I am, in the truest sense of the word, a 'newbie.' I came across this site looking for places to go in and around St. Helens and couldnt let it pass without saying hi because it's such a good site! :)

I have just updated my very old and very heavy bike, and I'm looking to spend some quality time getting muddy and building my confidence up with the new one! :embarassed:

Jaclyn

JimmyJames
09-05-2011, 10:52
Hello and welcome. I'm a relative noob myself. The members here are a great bunch.

Enjoy!

:thumbz:

Eric A
09-05-2011, 10:56
Welcome Jaclyn, There will be a newbie ride posted for June so keep your eyes peeled to the site. Also look out for some NCR (Non Club Rides) as you can go on these without an assessment but check with the ride leader first as they vary tremendously in terms of route distance and type of terrain covered. Areyou doing any riding at the moment, please psot up a few details then the guys/gals have a better indication on what to invite you along to. Defo get yourself booked on the next newbie ride tho.
Cheers
Eric

syk0
09-05-2011, 11:13
Howdy

:thumbz:

Jaclyn99
09-05-2011, 11:21
Hello,

I suppose the best way to describe myself would be that during my early teenage years i was never off a bike and would tackle (or try and fail!) to tackle most things. After a lengthy period where I didn't go near a bike I have very recently rediscovered it (first on my old bike, and then on my partners Specialized rockhopper, which was much better, if a little big!).

So I suppose after that vague and not so simple explanation I would say that I'm starting somewhere near the bottom ability wise. My fitness is not great, but that tends to improve as quickly as it deteriorates, from experience!

Thanks for the advice, it'd be good to hear from some of the newbies too as to where they are up to in their journey and what has most helped them make improvements.

I'm dead keen to make this a much bigger part of my life :)

Jaclyn

Hardnut
09-05-2011, 12:55
We have all been noobies at some point in time. The best advice for fitness would jsut the case of getting out when u can were ever u can. I personaly started riding to work which is under 5 miles so nothing fantasic, but if possible its a good way start fitness and good start to the day personaly.
Other wise plenty of NRC rides, tech jsut comes in after putting rides under your belt nothing wrong with looking at somthing and not doing it as you can always go back another day to try it.

Bobbing Buoy
09-05-2011, 13:35
Hi jaclyn , from my own experience with the club I would advise putting quite a few hills into your training rides, I was doing plenty of mileage on my rides but I still struggle on the hills fitnesswise ,you'll get there in the end though ( so they keep telling me !!!:) )

Jaclyn99
09-05-2011, 14:20
Brill, Thanks for your help and welcomes guys! :)

Woollyback Paul
09-05-2011, 14:55
Welcome Jaclyn, fitness wise there are plenty of non club rides to help you build up your fitness. Get your name down the for the newbie ride as soon as its posted up as once you get through that and start riding with some of the members (club rides or non club) they'll really be able to help technique wise - i joined in Jan and by watching / listening to the fellas that really know what they're doing i'm having a go at stuff i wouldn't have dreamed off 6 months ago. In the meantime just get out there and get some miles under your belt.

syk0
09-05-2011, 15:00
i'm THROWING MYSELF OFF stuff i wouldn't have dreamed off 6 months ago.

Fixed that for you....

Jaclyn99
09-05-2011, 16:18
Great stuff... wowsers, what a lovely bunch you are!!
... and I like your banter! haha :)

Dirt Diva
09-05-2011, 21:00
Welcome Jaclyn!!

We need more girls in the club that's for sure!! It was never more obvious when away this weekend with 39 blokes and just one other girl. If you are willing to overlook the obvious differences and gloss over the fact that they talk to you like you're one of the lads then you'll love it!! I do - it's the best club around!

Get out on the hills and grow some balls and you'll do well!! ;)

Where do you live and ride currently?

Karen

kopite
09-05-2011, 21:14
Welcome Jaclyn!!

We need more girls in the club that's for sure!!
I agree ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

kopite
09-05-2011, 21:15
Oh... Welcome jac!

silverscoob
09-05-2011, 21:18
Hi Jaclyn,
Welcome to the club, great bunch. Need to try yourself out on a few Newbie or more informal non-club rides perhaps just to get an idea of the fitness level and the techie stuff will develop over time.
Not sure about what Karen said about there not being enough girls in the club, there were quite a few I believe at Kirroughtree who bailed on the McMoab shute :grin:

andy-cas
09-05-2011, 21:25
[QUOTE

Get out on the hills and grow some balls and you'll do well!! ;)

Karen[/QUOTE]

Karen has grown a huge pair gives most of the lads a run for the money :rofl::friends:

Woollyback Paul
09-05-2011, 21:34
Fixed that for you....

Not at the weekend mate plus I did Lee quarry black today and never dabbed once from the rock qualifier to the quarry floor.

Obviously, that's just put a curse on me!

Jaclyn99
10-05-2011, 08:54
Haha, I don't mind at all being spoken to like one of the lads, anything else just wouldn't be right, would it!? :) haha.

I would definitely say that Karen's advice of getting on some hills and growing some balls is pretty much hitting the nail on the head for me!! Haha. If someone asks my plan, this is going to be my reply!!!

In the next couple of weeks (once new bike has arrived :thumbz:) I'll get out on a NCR or two and then look at one of the newbie rides once I feel fit enough.

Karen, I'm based in Eccleston so any rides tend to be just general travel around that area (I'm not using the car in Eccleston any more because I can get to places under my own steam- just about!!) or Carr Mill or Delamere.

As I say, it has, for the last few years tended to be something that I do as a one off rather than regularly so my fitness is my main worry, but I'll be working on that with Karen's 'Hills and Balls' strategy ;)

Jaclyn

TaZ
10-05-2011, 09:14
I'll be working on that with Karen's 'Hills and Balls' strategy ;)

Not a bad training strategy at all, Stick with that moto and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Welcome Jac

kopite
10-05-2011, 13:52
I need to concentrate on balls and hills myself!

Dirt Diva
10-05-2011, 20:50
Karen, I'm based in Eccleston so any rides tend to be just general travel around that area (I'm not using the car in Eccleston any more because I can get to places under my own steam- just about!!) or Carr Mill or Delamere.

Jaclyn

You are well placed to get out with some of the local members in a non club ride (NCR) around there. It's a well ridden area.
Keep your eye on the forum for them.

Stick at it and stay safe!
Hope to see you out sometime. :)

Ashe
10-05-2011, 20:56
Jaclyn - I ride Delamere regualrly and often our group has a few ladies of varying abilities - so if you fancy a gently intro and to discover some of Delamere - give me a shout and we can try and get you out with us some time

Ashe

GeeBee
10-05-2011, 21:32
Haha, I don't mind at all being spoken to like one of the lads, anything else just wouldn't be right, would it!? :) haha.

I would definitely say that Karen's advice of getting on some hills and growing some balls is pretty much hitting the nail on the head for me!! Haha. If someone asks my plan, this is going to be my reply!!!

In the next couple of weeks (once new bike has arrived :thumbz:) I'll get out on a NCR or two and then look at one of the newbie rides once I feel fit enough.

As I say, it has, for the last few years tended to be something that I do as a one off rather than regularly so my fitness is my main worry, but I'll be working on that with Karen's 'Hills and Balls' strategy ;)

Jaclyn

carr mill to billinge is the default fitness ride for a lot of the club. the "skyride" on a tuesday is a good way to find the trails that get you up to and down from billinge lump

Jaclyn99
11-05-2011, 08:51
I'll definitely keep my eye on the forums for some of the local NCRs. I want to get out of work now and go out on the bike. I'm even starting to give the cycling commuters a look of envy as they ride past (even though i wouldn't swap walking up Oxford Rd for cycling up it having seen the way the taxis treat them!).

Ashe, that sounds really good, I'd definitely be interested in that.

GeeBee, I think I'm going to make my fitness goal, initially, to be to get to the top of Billinge without the need for ambulance assistance! :thumbz:

SteSlater
13-05-2011, 13:25
welcome to the club, I joined on the billinge blast - good step into the club. Recently got out on a much bigger ride with pieeater, and was physically ruined! So I'm with you on the fitness balls approach!!!
Its a welcoming bunch, all incredibly helpful too! You'll have fun.

Pieeater
13-05-2011, 13:58
Glad you said "physically ruined" and not "abused".:guitar:

SteSlater
13-05-2011, 14:50
I want to do that route again, it was really good. Only problem with being at the back is by the time you catch up, you're going again. Learned alot that day, all very valuable lessons. Best day of biking I've had locally. I'm looking forward to getting on the next few club rides, and I've got a fitness plan on the go too.

Geordie Mick
13-05-2011, 15:50
Only problem with being at the back is by the time you catch up, you're going again.

When I first joined I was the same, I soon started to push myself an extra 10% harder which allowed me to get a crucial minute or two's rest between stages, it makes a difference and helps a lot with the fitness.

andy-cas
13-05-2011, 19:00
I was at the back as well that day was a fookin hard ride with phil on his super steed up all the tough rivi climbs didn't have much time to rest myself thing iv noticed is how quick you can recover when fit not how quick you catch up with people would rather have a one Minuit rest and be ok than a 5 Minuit and still not be ready to go plus no harm in askin for extra time to rest everybody has been there.

CHUNK
13-05-2011, 19:09
We were all at the same place once, only way to improve is to get out and ride. There is one bit of rivvi I used to measure myself on, the bit when you ride past the dog kennels to the bend and then chuck your bike over the gate and head up to the mast road - my scale on that was to ride it on the next gear. Also helps to get out with a fast group who dont mind playing about or waiting, amazing how your fitness comes on when you keep at it.... unfortunately it also drops off pretty rapid when your ill or cant ride.

I also remember a night out round rivvi with geordie mick when he was going through his gels and thought he was fooked so wanted to bail, an hour later he was flying and really enjoying it. Sometimes you have to ride for a bit before your body settles - ussually about half an hour for me and on the first climb of any ride im pretty slow.

tomuk30
13-05-2011, 19:25
good advise me thinks ,

GeeBee
13-05-2011, 20:31
I was at the back as well that day was a fookin hard ride with phil on his super steed up all the tough rivi climbs didn't have much time to rest myself thing iv noticed is how quick you can recover when fit not how quick you catch up with people would rather have a one Minuit rest and be ok than a 5 Minuit and still not be ready to go plus no harm in askin for extra time to rest everybody has been there.

good point that andy - ive noticed that as my fitness comes on, i can recover while still moving, just by slowing down a bit.

Jaclyn99
16-05-2011, 08:49
definitely excellent advice!

I'll second the comment that you do seem to be a welcoming bunch!! :)