Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey

Hi Guys,

I'm new to mountain biking, been riding bikes all my life though, mainly BMX. Really looking forward to getting out there though.

I was hoping I could get some advice. Im looking for a new bike but hopefully just a cheap basic one until I can afford something better. I have been pointed towards the Saracen Tufftrax by a few forums and websites as a really good basic bike, any body had any experience with this or have any ideas on a model to go for? I can get the Saracen for £200. ATM cant really afford any more!

Great forum by the way, cant wait to get out there!
    Thanks
    Neil

Best get 2nd hand at that price to be blunt and please don't take this wrong you need to spend a lot more if your going to take it serious as a guide at least £800 ish for a new hard tail or £1200 for a full suss but you may drop on a bargin somewhere look out for a "on one 456" prob best starter bike around
    Our greatest glory is not never falling off, but in getting up every time we do

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate I'll need a better bike, but Ive never been out mountain biking before, I dont want to go out and find I hate it and be stuck with a hugely expensive bike! I have looked around for a second hand one but I dont have any contacts in the biking world, don't want to buy a dud! And I think most importantly at the moment I dont have the kind of cash available to spend on a decent bike.

Thanks again for the reply, Ill have a look around for the bike you recommended.
      Neil

Comment

I bought a £245 carrera at the start of last year, and it did the job of confirming that I enjoyed it and wanted to continue riding as much as possible, then the expensive bikes were bought. The carrera was ok for the local rides but pretty awful at trail centres. I saw a top spec boardman sell on ebay 2 weeks ago for £360, that would be an excellent starter bike, the 456 usually sell between £500-£700 2nd hand.

Comment

Yea, my thoughts were to get a cheap bike for 6 months or so, get riding, see how I feel and then commit to a really good bike later on in the year when I have the funds. Thanks for the reply, hopefully I can snag myself a bargain and get riding in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Nelsonsix
            Im new to the forum myself but I have had my fair share of bikes in the past.
            I'll just give you a bit of help. Personally I'd stay away from that particular Saracen. It's got hybrid forks on that wouldn't be able to take a good off road ride. It's great for city pavement hoppers. There will be lots of bikes for about £200-£300 but realistically they cant handle much. Try looking at trail centres that hire bikes out, they sell them off when they get new ones in. Llandegla are selling their £1150 Kona's ?? For about £500 now. There will be other trail centres across the UK selling their bikes. I got the 2010 model Merida Matts for £150 off ebay from a trail centre. This place is selling one new
            http://www.startfitness.co.uk/produc...D=0&P_ID=44190
            It's not an amazing bike. I broke the forks on the green run in Llandegla. But it's a good starting point.

Comment

Have you looked in Decathlon, their 'starter' bikes always come out tops in surveys.
              http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bikes-cyc...FecmtAodFDYofw

Comment

Keep your eye on eBay as some proper bargains can be had from people who buy on a whim, ride once and then leave it to gather dust before selling.

I got a Ragley Piglet that was like new for £410, would have cost easily a grand new.

If you see anything on eBay and aren't sure then post the link, people on here will happily give you an honest opinion.

Don't be tempted by something the wrong size just because it's going cheap though, having a bike that fits makes a massive difference to your riding.

Comment

Hi Mate
                  I was in a very similar position myself a year or so ago.I bought a carrera vulcan from Halfords for £280 and it took everything i could throw at it and never let me down.I,ve since upgraded to a full suss Stumpjumper and of course you can feel the difference a more expensive bike makes but it was the Carrera that got me hooked on this MTB,ing lark.There are loads of them on Ebay so u should be able to pick up a tidy one for £150 or so and you will probably get most of that back eventually.good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonsix View Post
                    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate I'll need a better bike, but Ive never been out mountain biking before, I dont want to go out and find I hate it and be stuck with a hugely expensive bike! I have looked around for a second hand one but I dont have any contacts in the biking world, don't want to buy a dud! And I think most importantly at the moment I dont have the kind of cash available to spend on a decent bike.

Thanks again for the reply, Ill have a look around for the bike you recommended.
                    Neil

I would suggest before you spend your money and find out you don't like it (sure you will, what's not to like) you should get to Llandegla or even Delamere and hire a bike for the day, you will soon know if you want to do more after a days riding and you will still have your money in your pocket that you can put towards a more suitable bike.

Comment

Just noticed this on CRC;-
                      http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=75071

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the messages! Really helpful stuff. Would you recommend the Kona? Im going to Evans cycles tommorow so i'll check it out there before buying from CRC.

Comment

If you are going to be into MTB, then I suggest that you hire a bike from a trial centre and give it at least 5 goes, this will cost you about £75 in bike hire. You will get to ride on a reasonable MTB, which will be much better than anything under £500. Also you wouldn't have the hassle of offloading a low spec MTB.
                          The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonsix View Post
                            Hey guys, thanks for all the messages! Really helpful stuff. Would you recommend the Kona? Im going to Evans cycles tommorow so i'll check it out there before buying from CRC.
                            Not sure about the details but can you get something a bit better on the Bike to Work scheme?
                            sigpicSingle Speed, Full Suss and now...... ON FOOT ! Whatever next?

Comment

Spoke to my other half today and convinced her that I'll be better off investing a bit more money into the bike and we agreed that £500 is the max I would ever spend on a bike. I know it better to spend more but I just cant justify spending more than that! Ive been looking around and have found a couple of bikes around that price wondered if you could give me your opinion?

Ive heard bianchi are a good brand to go for...maybe wrong...
                              http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec031978

and this is the other one I saw at quick glance...
                              http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec030674

Thanks for the help guys!!

Comment

Working...
                              X