hello from me & any good trails in Warrington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from me & any good trails in Warrington

Just thought I’d write a quick hello. Quite interested in joining you, but think it may be a while, mainly because I’m pretty out of shape atm.

Bit about me anyway. I live in Warrington and work for Wigan Council. The bike I have is a 2006 GT Avalanche 3.0 disc (bought in 2006 from Thatto Cycles), though over the last couple of years have upgraded it allot with the following:
    • Marzocchi Bommer Comp front shocks (2005 pair picked up cheep from Ron Spencer Cycles)
    • Full drive train upgraded to Shimano SLX 9 speed
    • Mavic Crossride wheels / Maxis crossmark tyres

As far as off proper MTBing goes, I’ve done the red run at Llandegla a few times and enjoyed it for the most part. 1st and 2nd time did it with brothers and a mate who were pretty comparable to in terms of fitness, but last time I did it was with my brother & farther in law to be, who are both pretty die hard fitness fanatics and do triathlons, enter iron mans etc – got pretty badly shown up by them and very aware that I was holding them up.

Worst accident I’ve ever had on my bike was getting knocked off it by a ford transit whist cycling to work (when I worked in Warrington!)… driver kindly checked to make sure he hadn’t killed me before promptly diving off. Clipped the front of my bike and did allot of damage but luckily I got away pretty much unharmed.

Other hobbies of mine are console / pc gaming (custom build my own PCs) and of course the mighty Wire.

Anyway back to the point… As I said I’m pretty badly out of shape atm so obviously need to do some work by myself before I look to join, but not really sure where to start. Don’t want to be travelling far by myself but don’t really know of any good places in Warrington to be heading off to. I do live close to Sankey Valley Park but it’s all rather flat and so doesn’t really prepare you for MTB trails. Can anyone suggest something that’s close by?

ty

We have some ace local routes. Why no start off by following Sankey Valley to Carr Mill Dam and up to Billinge Hill. Watch out for "Alternative MTB Rides" on the forum and get yourself along. Also try the Skyride which is again by Carr Mill - watch out for the posts. If you want some hill training try Sutton Manor (Dream Statue) bit boring but good exercise. You can link together a lot of old colliery sites in this area for 90% off road rides.
    Ride Free...

Comment

Andy Cas got me using Strava on my phone, its pretty good for finding little routes around where you are.

Comment

Working...
      X