Mid life crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid life crisis

Hi everyone, I'm a complete novice to mountain biking and so out of shape its untrue but I'm 40 next year so need to get off my arse and do something about it so have bought myself a Lapierre Zesty 314 bike and intend to get out and about as much as work/family will allow. Whats the best way to get started? I think I need to get fitter first, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just get out and ride

Comment

Good on you.
      Get out as much as you can locally.
      Look out for next newbie ride and NCRs .

Where u based as there will probably be someone nearby who can show u some local trails.

Comment

I'm in Thatto Heath but dont know the area very well. I've bought a Garmin edge 800 sat nav so was hoping to download some routes from somewhere.

Comment

Well u have the best bike shop in the land on your doorstep.
          Plenty of stuff we do based around Billinge to get yourself fit before heading out further afield.

Comment

Welcome, there are plenty of members in and around that area who'll point you in the right direction. As Phil says, newbie ride / local non club rides are a good place to start.
            If paying anything, don't forget to pm me with details, what it is for, and by what method. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pieeater View Post
              Well u have the best bike shop in the land on your doorstep.
              Plenty of tame stuff we do based around Billinge to get yourself fit before heading out into the next farmer's field.
              That's more accurate!

Comment

your only round the corner from me then. theres some decent bits and pieces around the area from half an hour upwards.
                Woollybacks Club Routes - http://www.gpsies.com/mapUser.do?use...thewoollybacks
                Members NCR - http://www.gpsies.com/mapUser.do?use...WoollybacksNCR

if you have a route you would like uploading, please email it to: woollybacksncr@gmail.com

Comment

Seriously though, just get out and ride wherever you can, there's always someone out somewhere, make the most of this weather and the dusty trails!

Comment

Great thanks guys, are there any sites where you can download routes from if I cant meet up with other members, it woudl be great if I can meet other members to lean from but I have a job where making advance plans can be a bit difficult so want to cover all bases.

Comment

You weren't over Bold Colliery last Monday were you? I saw a fella on a Zesty 314.

Welcome to the club by the way.

As people have said there's local rides to get your fitness up but you won't find too many jumps, drops, etc.

Trail centres such as Llandegla can be worth a trip out as the trails are graded by difficulty and you can just follow the signs so don't have to worry about getting lost. As you get fitter and your skills move on you can move up to the next grade of trail so it's a good way of judging how you're progressing.

Comment

GM mark II - bagsy the garmin ...

Comment

I'm just up the road from you also - get on strava with the garmin and you can battle GeeBee & I for segment times

Comment

No it wasnt me, thanks for letting me know about Llandegla, sounds like a good place to have a go.

Comment

Just had a look at Strava, looks good, thanks for letting me know about that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X