Hi, new member please be gentle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new member please be gentle

Hi all, I joined up because I recently really started to enjoy mountain biking going from a cheap rubbish heavy bike to a nice new shiny Cube ltd 2011 hardtail bike I have started to enjoy it even more, however my fitness isn't the best well more my uphill stamina and I'm going to be unable to go for any sort of bike ride for a few months come the beginning of September.

I am going to be really working on my stamina and riding ability after iv got out of hospital and recovered fully I plan to do a skills course so I can start going on a bit more extreme trails and just start to build my way up.

I live in Parbold and have done many rides in the area in the last few months including a pretty savage one up and around the beacon area, and recently ventured up to Grizdale forest by myself and did the moor top trail (11miles) I wanted to have a go at the red one (which I have done before many years ago) but decided being on my own not to. I would really like to get out on a few rides between Saturday the 25th and the Friday 31st August as this will be the last time I will get the chance for a while so want to enjoy the freedom while I can. If anyone who is local is planning a fairly easy ride with a bit of a challenge I would love to get along and meet some of you from the club as you all seem friendly from what I have read while looking around the forums.

After my recovery if I enjoy the site I am seriously considering joining the site as a full member.

Hi mate welcome to the club. I live in Skelmersdale and regularly ride up over the beacon then down to the canal then up to Wiggin Tree (Miller Carter now) and then down into fairy glen (it's also a club route used on some club night rides) as my local training route when I don't have the chance or the time to get out with the club or further afield.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to ride much soon due to extended work shifts, and the Mrs' changing her shifts means I have more babysitting to do. But if I'm out between those dates I'll be sure to let you know

Comment

Welcome Chris

Comment

Hi Taz thanks for the welcome. What sort of bike have you got? That sounds like a pretty good fun route I like going down Wood lane in Parbold (at the bottom of the hill) and then down another little track onto lees lane Saturday we carried on then we went up to the beacon via some pretty steep country lanes and stopped off at the prince William pub and came back down crows lane and down through Roby Mill and jumped on the canal just before the bridge. I live near the church at the bottom of Parbold hill so id defo be up for any sort of ride round that area as its hardly any effort to get there. But iv been looking at going to Gisburn forest next week if anyone who sees this is interested then please feel free to get hold of me.

Have you been down through the old quarry route at the top or Parbold hill it used to be ridable but not sure if it is too overgrown or dangerous now days as its been along time since iv gone that way. That would bring you out by the dirt rocky track by the canal and then could continue to go up and then onto lees lane for a bit of variety that would also get you back to Skem.

Comment

Hi mate I've got the bike just below yours, a Cube Acid 2011, also got an On-One Inbred Single-Speed but can't get up Sparrow Hill Climb (from just after the canal up the single track to where the ice cream van parks opposite Wiggin Tree) on it so always use the cube around Parbold.

I've never been to the Quarry myself, but a lot in the club have used it in the past, not sure about recently I'll let someone else post up about that as don't want to give any misleading information.

With regards to your Gisburn ride, you're best starting a new thread in the "Rides" section and put in the title "[NCR] Gisburn Forest <date>" NCR stands for "non club ride" (you may have seen others post them) and just like you did here, post up what time you'll be going, what sort of pace you'll be doing and that anyone is welcome etc, chances are you may get some takers.

If I can get out locally anytime soon I'll give you a shout, when do you work as it may be mid-day (working nights at the mo) that I can ride. I could always meet you at the top of Parbold Hill, we can do fairy glenn, back up, down the single track from the ice cream van to the canal, along the canal to the bottom of Appley lane, cross over the water and come back on ourselves through a farmers field (currently covered in 6ft high maize) which brings us out on Lees Lane (I think) then do a looong road slog up Long Heys Lane (usually the end of my ride) to the Prince William, little play in and around the Beacon, then up to the point and down the back and accross farmers fields back to the canal and back up the single track to Ice Cream Van. That's basically the route the club (and myself) use only we start at the prince William, so I'll be doing it twice meeting you half way

Comment

Ye sounds like a good ride, but as I said in my first post my uphill stamina isn't great at the moment so I usually pace myself and take it fairly easy on the bigger and longer hills. This week and most other weeks I do 9am-6pm (working in parbold tho so not got much of a commute) but I'm off work completely from this Saturday the 25th in the afternoon until I go into hospital on Monday the 3rd September. I prefer doing longer rides at the weekends when I'm working during the week as I usually go to the gym in the week after work and I'm often pretty tired and sore the day after from doing that.

I had a serious look at the acid and was going to buy that bike but I managed to convince them to sell me this one for just few quid more than the acid and I thought why not for that price.

Ill get that put up tomorrow about the Gisburn forest ride as I'm not really familiar with the area so someone to come along with me who has previous knowledge would be brilliant if not ill find at mate who is willing to go.

To be honest I would walk it up there first to scope the place out before I rode it as would be dissapointed if I had to turn back, but I have a feeling what you are describing as the single track by the ice cream van is actually what I was referring too when I said the old quarry but it has been many many years since I have gone down there so my memory is just a bit vague.

Oh and hi CHUNK thanks for the welcome.

Comment

No problem about the fitness mate, if I'm doing it all twice I'll want to be taking it easy too, and I don't mind a nice easy paced ride, that's the beauty of the club. It's a friendly place and we ride to have fun, not to race or make people feel bad for being any slowly or less skilled. No matter what the ride is, the pace is that of the slowest rider and you are never made to feel like you are holding anyone up.

Also that's the beauty of posting up your own NCRs that way, if anyone tags along, they know it's your ride, so it'll be at your pace and the more you get out and the more people you ride with the faster the fitness comes, you'll be surprised at how much faster you improve when riding with others.

Like I say, when I know when I can ride locally I'll give you a shout and we'll go from there, but if there's any certain days or places you wanna go (like Gisburn) just post up an NCR and see what happens, you may get a few people tagging on. You may get no-one, but don't take this in a bad way, it may be that there isn't anyone free to ride that day, or chances are they are already on a ride elsewhere, there is another section to to forum that only full members can access and a lot more rides are posted up on there so don't take it personally if you don't get any takers, and don't let it put you off putting up any other rides

Comment

Ah that's alright then because I'v been left behind on a few rides recently when they involved a lot of uphill sections. My bike just flys down the hills but up is another matter, I don't really mind being left on uphill sections if someone waits for me at the top. Well thats partly the reason I'v registered on this site because its always good to know that you could get more people involved in a ride and the more the better plus its great being round people with a big interest like biking in common, especially when most of my mates think I'm plain mad with more money than sence for spending what I did on my bike. Ill be going to Gisburn forest weather anyone on here goes with, I don't mind doing it on my own or I'll find someone who wants to go along.

Hopefully you'll have some spare time next week sometime and we can sort out a local ride.

Comment

hello chris , welcome to the club, i live in hindley and venture out to gisburn , if you want to go to gisburn this weekend , give us a shout be more than happy to meet up and do the route with you, i normally do two laps , we can do 1 lap and see how you feel about anouther , if not no worries you can just bail and i will carry on

Comment

Well I could do Saturday afternoon after about 3pm or any time Sunday although I'm not one for early mornings unless I really HAVE too, I'v just been having a look at the trails they have set up at gisburn and was thinking of just doing a fairly simple one distance doesn't really bother me but until I get more confidence on my bike and the sort of terrain I'll be riding on id prefer to keep it simple.

I'm going to post it up on the NCR in a few minutes as Taz has suggested but ill put it as I'm doing it on Sunday but this can change if not suitable for you or anyone else who is interested

Comment

Working...
                    X