Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Sunny Heywood.

Hey everyone,
    Just a quick intro - I am almost 33, married with 2 young kids. The waistline is slowly but surely getting bigger, So i got myself a cheap MTN bike (RockRider).
    My aim was to just get out on the road and build the milage up! However after doing a 30 mile road ride on the mountain bike(i was in pieces), i realised i either needed a road bike, or just keep to tracks with the Mountain bike!
    With monies being sparse with having a wife and kids a new bike is a no no - So this is where i am today.... I need to utilise my Mountain bike and get muddy! So my other problem is i need a fairly local riding buddy(s)
    One other thing is kit. i am very limited in kit and experience! Only biking gear i have is the more suited to road lycra shorts and rain proof jacket which the Missus got me. Would this be acceptable to wear on Trails etc?
    And what spares package would i need?
    Anyway thats enough rambling!
    Cheers for reading,
    Gary

As long as you've got a helmet and a bike your pretty much there. Everything else you can build up along the way. Are you bothered about not looking "as cool" as the other people on the trail? No one here will care what your wearing, just that your out to share the trail with them. Wear whatever your comfortable riding in, if that's your Lycra shorts that's your choice, if its a pair of old 3/4 length cargo pants it's whatever works for you.

As for repair stuff you can be as simple or comprehensive as your budget dictates. Get a pump, spare inner tubes, puncture repair kit, spare pads specific to your bike, and some sort of multi tool (Christmas is coming up, there's loads of stores with sales on for things like those aimed at "stocking fillers). You won't go far wrong with those and then there's a bigger list on here somewhere which you can use to work towards, with personal experience and advice other people give.

Get yourself on a local NCR (None Club Ride) meet some people, have some fun and see what you think.

Adam

Comment

Welcome

Many started like that, myself included, and if you catch the bug you'll soon lose the gut. It's not easy finding the time to get out when you have a young family but the good thing about this club is there's always someone else free when you are. I don't know the area around Heywood too well, although I'm sure others do and will post up, but you're not far from Rivington, Darwen and Bacup where Lee and Crag Quarry are.

As far as equipment goes this covers pretty much everything you will need > http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/cont...rs-new-and-old. You'll be fine with the kit you've got although expect some p!ss taking for the budgie smugglers
      It's not the winning or the taking part that counts....it's the beer afterwards.

Comment

Hi Gary
        your fitness is the key to riding, nobody cares what you wear if you can put in the miles
        get your fitness levels up and follow chorlton's advice and you will be fine

Comment

Some certain club members wear
          Cutt off ron hill tracksters
          Network Rail jackets
          Footy socks to the knee in red
          Padded goalkeeping shorts
          Footy tops

Oh btw all of em are good riders

It's the riding and banter that counts!

Comment

Taz has been known to wear swimming shorts, but with this years weather its not a bad idea

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys! I need to get some spends off the wife to get some new shorts!
              Then i will gradually build up the spares package! But initially taking it easy and not going too far whilst i build up my fitness.
              Next step is to find some (very) local trails and a friend!
              I'll save my Trunks for on holiday! haha.

Comment

Working...
              X