Very newbie here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very newbie here

We'll thought I would say hello. Live over in Skelmersdale, I have two kids, my little lad is 8 and has just got his very first mountain bike from father xmas.

I would like to join your club to learn the skills and the routes so I can pass on the knowledge to him and be able to do rides together. Plus he's no good at banter he just gets upset

Haven't bought a bike yet but after reading articles the Calibre two.two sounds a good starting point, which I will be buying next week. Unless someone can recommend a hard tail for £500.

I had cancer in 2012 which was exciting and it has taken 12 months to get back to "normal" so I have given myself a March deadline to get fit enough to be able to do the newbie ride.

Well that will do for now, if any knows of a child friendly trial no more than 1 hours drive away please let me know. Oh where's the best place to go for MTB clothing.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Steve Leggett

AKA Lego

Hello Steve and welcome , there are a fair few riders in the Skem area. And I'm sure one of them will tell you of some very local trails .

Comment

Hi Steve n welcome to the club, there will be plenty of info for you from the rest of the peeps. If you looking for a hard tail I'd be looking at a steel hard tail, ragley blue pig, on one 456, cotic etc second hand should pick a good one up for £500. I got a pig off eBay a few month ago for £450

There's all sorts of places for clothes, decathlon, ALDI, Halfords, leisure lakes, merlin etc etc just look thru the net

As for trails grizdale, whinlatter, llandegla blue's are all ok or just get out local.

Enjoy

Comment

Hi Steve, good local route is beacon then up to parbold hill, that will get you fit in no time haha.

Comment

Hi Lego, welcome

The which first bike topic is a minefield! Steel hard tails are popular in the club but then so are aluminium and carbon too. Budget is the limiting factor and you can get a fair bit of bike second hand for 500 quid. The same options aren't there from new but it's more hassle and risk buying second hand. I bought my frame on eBay too though

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome Steve, mountainbiking is a great way to get your fitness back

Loads of advice from the members here, just ask away whenever you need..

Roughly how tall are you? Will help if anyone comes across a bike that may be suitable for you..
            Sha...ting !!

Comment

Thanks everyone, height wise I would say 5ft 8"

Are there any trials at rivington which too strep for the wee lad.

Comment

Welcome Steve

Good advice already given although the bike you're planning on getting looks pretty good for the price, the issue will be when you get hooked on proper mountain biking you may want to change a lot of parts including the frame so it makes sense to get a second hand bike that is better quality and geometry and already has most of the right bits bolted to it. Not easy finding the right bike when you're new to it though...
                It's not the winning or the taking part that counts....it's the beer afterwards.

Comment

As the calibre two.two isn't that expensive I could just get rid of it when I feel the need to invest in a proper mountain bike. Does anyone in the club get in involved in any cross country events in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Lego View Post
                    As the calibre two.two isn't that expensive I could just get rid of it when I feel the need to invest in a proper mountain bike. Does anyone in the club get in involved in any cross country events in the UK?
                    There are a few members who do MTB XC and Cyclocross at regional and national level.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
                    The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Welcome Steve.

There is an "events" thread on the members only section of the forum - which is where 99% of the content is. There are a variety of non competitive events being discussed.
                      Have a look on Google at the Mary Townley Loop, Sam Houghton Challenge, CRC Marathon and Red Kite Events as a starter. There are some other more taxing events that people are taking part in.

Comment

Is there anyone who will be doing the "ratrace the crossing" in July?

Comment

Welcome pal from a fellow Skem-er. Hopefully see you out on the trails soon

Comment

I'll give you a shout when I'm ready, hope to tag along on some local trials if that's ok

Comment

Is there anyone who will be doing the "ratrace the crossing" in July?
                              That's on hell of a lot of money for a 2 or maybe 3 day ride cross country isn't it?
                              All the best

Comment

Working...
                              X