Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Ride

Hi everybody,
    My name is Mark Aitken I am a 51 years old male and live in West Derby Liverpool, I have been riding Road and MTB for several years and have a decent level of fitness.
    I ride most weekends between 25-45 miles I am very interested in joining the club for more social riding, I have completed many sportives and recently completed the Lakeland Monster ride in Keswick, do you think that I would be at a suitable level to join the club, could you let me know when you next have a newbie ride with space for two riders ( my friend John would also like to attend)

Kind Regards
    Mark Aitken

Hi Mark

I'm sure you'll fit in but EVERYONE needs to attend a newbie ride or ride on a technical ride with a club member who is willing to vouch for them.

There are a few of us including myself from Liverpool area and 2 or 3 of us who regularly ride the Liverpool Loop Line as part of a bigger ride, maybe we've see you on there?
    All the best

Comment

Hi Kiwi.
      Thanks for the quick response to my post do you have any rides planned where I could join you for a few hours I do use the loop line regularly I get on it at Alder Road by the playing fields, or alternatively when is there likely to be a newbie ride this month that I could join.
      Cheers
      Mark A

Comment

Hi from me too, if u do these sort of events etc then I'm sure you will be fine with the newbie ride. As kiwi says few of us down this way and many more not much further.

There's rides on every week but until ur a full member they are on another side of the site and much more. U will also find everyone on here great too as this is a mega club
        Eat, sleep, ride, repeat

Comment

Welcome pal. There generally isn't a newbie ride in January as the ride leaders (and everyone else) are normally too busy after Christmas/New Year and getting back to work etc. but there will definitely be one posted up for February and there will be some NCR (Non Club Rides) posted up sometimes on the "Members' Rides" section which if they sound like your type of ride feel free to invite yourself along.

As Jimmy says there's a lot more going on on the forum it's just not view able to non-members (for obvious security reasons) but that doesn't mean we're a closed shop and everyone on here are both welcoming and knowledgeable, should you need any help/advice as I know most of us have at some point.

Alternatively if you don't see any rides posted up let us know what type of rides you usually do and when you can generally ride and someone may message you with info about an NCR that may suit. I'm sure Kiwi will message you about meeting up, he loves fresh ears to chew off whilst riding bikes

Hopefully see you out on the trails in the near future

Comment

Hi Taz,

Thanks for the very valuable info I am up for a ride nearly every Saturday/Sunday morning and I don't mind what the ride inlvolves I will just give it my best shot.

Cheers,
            Mark A

Comment

Originally posted by Mark A View Post
              Hi Kiwi.
              Thanks for the quick response to my post do you have any rides planned where I could join you for a few hours I do use the loop line regularly I get on it at Alder Road by the playing fields, or alternatively when is there likely to be a newbie ride this month that I could join.
              Cheers
              Mark A
              The only problem with the Loop Line will prove if you are fit enough and I'm sure you are from your first post, but there is nothing technical on there so you would need to ride with a member somewhere technical or on a newbie ride before been OK'ed to join up, I'm sorry to say.

Where do you off road ride, both locally and more technical further afield?
              All the best

Comment

Hi Kiwi,

I have ridden the Red trail at Llandegla and also the Lakeland Monster had plenty of climbs and decents (ride was in Keswick and surrounding areas of the Lake District and covered 46 miles with approx 70% off-road).
                I would like to try other areas maybe Whinlatter, parts of Wales etc.

Cheers,
                Mark A

Comment

Mark, ref ur pal he will av2 set up his own acc himself and do same type of intro giving overview of bike, riding styles and mileage, frequency etc. this really helps us understand where a new member is at with their abilities and fitness etc
                  Eat, sleep, ride, repeat

Comment

Hi Jimnesia,

I will get him to do that asap, my MTB is a 2011 Giant Anthem X2 Full Sus with a few scrapes from my tumbles, not really sure if I have a style , I just go with the flow.
                    If i feel a bit nervous about a technical section, I slow down or get off, but would really like to get to the stage where i am bricking my pants on the serious stuff (no pain no gain is my philosophy)

Cheers,
                    Mark A

Comment

Hi Mark like you I am awaiting a newbie ride, I am just recovering from a operation in November so have not been out for over six weeks but hoping to start soon. I am a couple years older with the same attitude not sure walk it!
                      I live just the other side of Keswick if you want to meet up for Whinlatter I am happy to go around with you. Even though it is on my door step only been around it a handful of times, I am not quick up or down, fitness I was doing around 2 3 rides a week ranging from 1 to 5 hours most 3 hours.

if I enjoy the ride that's what really counts and I get there eventually bike Rocky Mountain Vertex hard tail from 2009 Rocky Mountain Altuude 750 msl with one ride behind me day before op. So really itching to get back out regards Stephen

Comment

Won't be long to wait fellas, we're all still getting used to the recent changes to the forum so maybe we're not yet in the habit of posting all the NCRs in the members rides section.

Club members will contact intersted newbies when they feel a ride is local / appropriate but even though the club has members all over the NW there is a concentration around the Wigan and St Helens area (it seems that way to me anyway).

Keep getting out and be patient, I'm sure the opportunity to get out with the club will come sooner rather than later

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the club fella's
                          Sha...ting !!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark A View Post
                            . If i feel a bit nervous about a technical section, I slow down or get off, but would really like to get to the stage whe
                            At no point on a ride will you be pressured into attempting something you're not comfortable with nor will you be laughed at/mocked for walking a section (unless your name is Jimnesia)

When out on a ride the ride leader will always ask if there is anyone who has not done that particular ride before and if there are some virgin riders there will always be a brief stop and pep talk before every technical section to give you a heads up of what's coming and what to expect.

Skills/confidence over technical trails will come over time. When I first joined I could barely ride over a few roots without washing out or stalling and walking but now I'll give pretty much anything a go (bar gap jumps and ladder drops, leave that for the big boys)

Best thing to do is just ride, nice bike too

Comment

Taz;

"When I first joined I could barely ride over a few roots without washing out or stalling and walking but now I'll give pretty much anything a go (bar gap jumps and ladder drops, leave that for the big boys)"

Take no notice he`s still crap going down hill, even a broken plastic french bike can WHOOP him on the downs
                              Last edited by Jimnesia; 07-01-2014, 12:03.
                              Eat, sleep, ride, repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X