Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Sunny South Wales

Hi Guys n Gals

I work up in Wigan on a pretty regular basis and was pointed this way when i asked a chap about rides up North.

I'm up Next week and would love to get out and ride Tuesday night, if anyones about or can recommend a decent XC ride( anything from 10-20 miles) for me that would be great.

I'm a member of South Wales MTB and have been riding for well over 30 years.

Current bikes Mongoose Kyhber 26" full suss, KTM sport Ultra 29er Hard tail my weapon of choice and hoping to get a fat bike soon.

Training for a Event 1st of may a 3 day multi in mid wales Bivi'ing out over night hence wanting to get out and crunch the miles, riding 35 and 45 miles on regular basis so not bad fitness wise for my age.

I'm not a racing snake, 46 years old but just love to get out and see new stuff and ride bikes with like minded folk …. you'll just have to forgive the fact i'm a southerner and welsh

Hello, ?
    Welcome to the club!! Please take time to have a look around the website and introduce yourself on the forum in the introduction section(if this isn't you doing so already), please look out for the next newbie ride as this is the best way into the club! The newbie/introduction ride isn't as daunting as it sounds it just gives us a level of fitness and skill that you are at so you don't end up miles from nowhere with not being able to carry on.
    Another way into the club is to invite yourself along to a NCR (non club ride) which are posted in the non members section of the forum and if somebody feels your skill and fitness is of a good level they can vouch for you!
    Please take some time looking at the kit you require there is a small list here (http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/cont...-and-old)these things will help if you have a breakdown or mechanical whilst out on a ride, the club members are usually great and will have some spares for the occasional thing that has been forgotten but it's great if you can be organised with your own spares .
    The club is a great place to be with almost a ride a day with the various ncr's and club rides. We ride all over the north from the Lake District to the Peak District to north wales and various places in between .
    Thanks for reading and hope your experience with the club is a long and exciting one if you have any problems or more questions please feel free to post up in the introduction section where members will be on hand to help or message me or one of the other committee members.
    Hope to see you on the trails soon Andy (andy-cas)
    Our greatest glory is not never falling off, but in getting up every time we do

Comment

Hi swiftly and welcome to the club, i do a bit of riding in the Wigan area but not sure yet if I'm out on Tuesday night but I'll let u know. What time was you thinking and/or do u have lights?

Comment

Hi swifty and welcome to the club. I'm keen on the welsh ride thing and might see you there. Just new to get buy in from the missus which is normally not a problem but I am pushing things at the moment.

I'm not around next week so can't join you on Tuesday night.

Comment

Hi Swifty & welcome to the club

There's a regular local Tues night ride come rain or shine, & with the weather improving there'll be loads of other options right through the week. Syk0 is your man & i'm sure after he see's this thread you'll get a PM.

Is your 3 day Welsh bivi trip the WRT? If so i'm signed up & will see you there
          Sha...ting !!

Comment

Hi Swifty, welcome to the club

LIke zoomer says, Syk0 is your man for a Tuesday ride
            just up the road from wigan

Comment

I can see a Wigan Skyride on tour on the cards soon!

Wouldn't mind a trip over to the Moonhills now things are drying out a bit
              Sha...ting !!

Comment

Hi Guys yea its the WRT i'm down for the whole weekend much to she who must be obeyed's displeasure! She barred me from going alone so am riding with Chew and a few others for this one.

As for tuesday, yea i have lights, i normally finish around 5-530 so can be changed and on the road again prob by 6-630 all being well, as long as i'm back in the office by 9am i can crack on for as long as you like… like i said i'm no racing snake have to go at my pace but can crank out the miles …. i'm off out this thursday for a shakedown ride for WRT to see if i've forgotten anything or need anything new.

Have to say i am V V excited about WRT i can't wait

Comment

I'm down for the full fat version & i'm riding with Flatfishy.

I did the Spar & back this year, but it's my first WRT. A couple of the lads on here did it in 2010, not sure if you'll be able to see this link as you're not a full member, but here's some pics-
                  http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/album.php?albumid=46
                  There's also a write up on it here somewhere.

Have you ridden with Chew before? He's a top guy
                  Even though i'm just going to follow Taylors lead, i've just ordered Landrangers 136 & 137 to try & at least familiarise myself with the area

I'm sure someone will be able to sort a ride out for you next week. School night rides don't to be too long or testing, normally around 2-2.5hrs.
                  What area of Wigan are you staying?

Where are you going for your shakedown ride?
                  Sha...ting !!

Comment

It'll be one of the Premier Inn's i would guess ….. shakedown ride down my way South Wales around 20-25 thursday eve this week over to Darren Fawr trails and then back home should be about a 35-40 mile loop, bivi spots are many some cracking spots i'm spoilt for choice, will prob get deep into one of the pine forests so i can be out of site and get a small fire going and close to water source.

We'll be in opposing groups then it'll be like the sharks N jets!! Chew has done the route we're even taking in a trail centre on second day!!! and a few pubs as well for good measure

Comment

There's quite a few different area's to ride in Wigan, although local knowledge is a must to get the most out of them, R6 Phil & Leadville are the men in the know..
                      The regular Tues night ride is more towards St Helens.

Just hope Stu's booked the weather for the WRT! We'll more than likely cross paths at some point, Flatfishy has a reputation for opting for comfort, while i think Chew is more of a purist

Also, they literally go wild on here for 29ers, especially if they're rigid
                      Last edited by Zoomer; 15-04-2014, 21:56.
                      Sha...ting !!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoomer View Post
                        Syk0 is your man & i'm sure after he see's this thread you'll get a PM.

Welcome.
                        Pm sent.

Comment

Zoomer …. 29ers the way forward mine has a little help up front (100mm) but may have rigid's on for the WRT ….. i'm glad you said that about Chew i do like my outdoors and love a bit of bivi action sorts the boys from the men

If the weathers bad it will def be type 3 fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                            29ers the way forward mine has a little help up front (100mm) but may have rigid's on for the WRT
                            Now you've done it
                            Sha...ting !!

Comment

Hi Swifty, if you're interested we could show you a short loop over at Rivington as well (about 20-30 minutes drive from Wigan).......(about 12 miles I think so easy for an evening ride); do you have transport (?) but we are in the Wigan area so could meet up fairly easily if not? Let us know and we'll try to arrange something although will still need lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X