Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for some info

hi im ste from liverpool im 25 years old and a hgv driver
    got my first bike ( cannondale trial 4 hardtail ) about 2/3 weeks ago so far i have been bikeing it to work 16 mile round trip trying to build up a bit of fittness.
    im itching to get out on a newbie ride but first i need to buy a few bits and want to no witch places to buy from looking at your list of items to carry with you on a ride out i need,

helemt
    camalback
    gloves
    chain repaire tool

any websites would be usefull and as a helmet is key what make do you recomend

thanks in advance

Hello ste Probably best looking at some reviews and deciding what you think is best there is always a good guide in the back of what mountain bike magazine I can give you a copy if you like they seem to constantly have the same reviews in the back each month sort of a guide. Thattoheath cycles is local to most of us and if you tell h your with the club when you go in you will get a big if discount on some items or there website is at the bottom of every page on the site "bikes you like" As usual in life you get what you pay for but as a guide ,661, gyro, fox, topeak, giant are camlebak and osprey are all good makes of kit

Quinn's of Liverpool are ok if that's closer but thattoheath cycles are worth a trip and you would get great advice there
    Our greatest glory is not never falling off, but in getting up every time we do

Comment

Hi Ste, welcome to the forum

Seems like you have been reading the guides on the website so I'm not going to advise you to do that, you're doing the right thing getting yourself properly kitted out before going out on the trails. A 10 mile walk back to the car can be a right PITA !

In terms of gear, I'll make some recommendations below:

Lid - I use a 661 Recon and a Decathlon Rockrider - both were under £50 and have been great so far. There are loads of other brands to look out for, Bell, Fox and POC to name but three. Helmets are quite a personal choice though, aside from looks if you have an odd shaped head you may be better off trying some on before you buy one.

Camelback - I have a cheapo one from Costco, a High-Sierra. I really want an Osprey Raptor but they're a bit more spendy (£80ish)

Gloves - I've got really old axxo gloves which have lasted well and a pair of Endura fleece gloves I got for £7 in a sale.

Chain tool - just a simple one from CRC (buy some speed/quick links too)

Good places to shop are:

www.chainreactioncycles.com
      http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/index.aspx
      http://www.bike-discount.de
      http://www.merlincycles.com//en

and loads more. Dont forget ebay either.

Hope to see you signing up for a newbie ride soon!

Comment

thanks andy some good info i live in rainhill so thattoheath is close to me i was in there last week havin a look at the cat eye computers the lads in there were very helpful.

thanks stu im going to have a look at your sugestions now and yes im lookin at the 14th june newbie ride guna book it off work 2mora as i work tue to sat so soon as i get a yes ill put my name down

thanks for your replys

Comment

Hi Ste & welcome to the club

All good advice above^^

Can sometimes be better to buy a helmet from a shop where you can check the size rather than on-line though, different makes can also have slightly different fits.
          Sha...ting !!

Comment

yer think im guna go tomorra and try the 661 for size as i havnt got a clue how big/small my head is

Comment

welcome to the club Ste its a great club, all good advice. As a realtive newbie my self i have got a GELERT Strider 2L Hydro Pack from millets only £25 it does a job and seems ok, i can get all the bits i need in it.

Comment

seems a good price ill have a look thanks mate

Comment

Welcome to the club, enjoy ur 1st of many spending sprees

Comment

Welcome Ste, you work funny shifts, who you work for?

Comment

Thanks guys i work for palmer and harvey in haydock its not so bad only work untill about half 10 on a sat so i get most of it off plus sunday monday

Comment

Originally posted by ste.doran View Post
                        Thanks guys i work for palmer and harvey in haydock its not so bad only work untill about half 10 on a sat so i get most of it off plus sunday monday
                        Fcuk me that's my 2nd home I'm the spark who always parks his van on the path near main reception say hello when you next see me
                        Our greatest glory is not never falling off, but in getting up every time we do

Comment

Welcome matey buy the best helmet you can afford

you got 2 arms
                          you got 2 legs
                          but you only got 1 head

Comment

Haha in not suprised your always there is your van sign written ill keep a eye out for you cum say hello.

Yer my head is important think im guna go for the 661 recon good reviews for around 60 quid

Comment

Working...
                            X