Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 year plus sabbatical from mountain biking

Hi everyone,

My name is Paul and I thought I’d take a minute to introduce myself. I’ve just bought a new bike after being out the game for over 10 years (Wife & Kids etc). I’m working hard at the mo to get my fitness levels up and hope to get out on a Newbie Ride at some point in the near future.

Cheers
    Paul.

Welcome to the club Paul, what bike did you get and what's your local area?
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I'm based round the Carr Mill area on St Helens.

After much deliberation I ended up going for a Scott Scale. It seems to be a well sorted bike, handles well and is light, but I have noticed a slight oil weep from the right fork leg. I've spoken to Fox about it and they've asked that I send the forks in for inspection. I think I'm gonna keep riding them for a week or 2 and see if the weep persists.

Any thoughts on this guys?
        What would you do?

Cheers
        Paul.

Comment

Depends where its coming from; if its from round the seals around stanchions Iits normal for some oil to be coming up with use. If its coming from the bottom of forks it could be a problem tho. Where did you get it? Could be worth the shop looking at it for you if they're close

Comment

Got it online from Pauls Cycles.

The oil weep is from the upper most seal were the fork leg connects to the stanchion. Its only on the right leg and is enough oil to initially cause concern but seems to have reduced with use (I have covered approx. 30 mile on the bike so far).

Cheers
            Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by PH2003 View Post
              Got it online from ..... .......
              There's your problem, your St Helens local bike shop at Thatto's stocks Scott and could have looked at it and sorted it out straight away.

Send the fork back and wait is the only answer I'm sorry to say.

All the faffing, waiting and postage costs don't make internet bikes any cheaper than bike shops when they go wrong I'm sorry to say
              All the best

Comment

I'll take a closer look at the forks for you on Sunday Paul .good to see you found us
                on the seventh day he rode ,and the lord said to me come fourth and i shall give you eternal life, i came fifth and won a toaster.

I dont get flashbacks i'm still there

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                  There's your problem, your St Helens local bike shop at Thatto's stocks Scott and could have looked at it and sorted it out straight away.

Send the fork back and wait is the only answer I'm sorry to say.

All the faffing, waiting and postage costs don't make internet bikes any cheaper than bike shops when they go wrong I'm sorry to say
                  Postage for any warranty claim is generally refundable I would have thought John?
                  I had to wait 6 weeks for a local bike shop on a rear mech I put into them under warranty as they still have to wait for madison (the uk distributor) to make the decision.
                  Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity

Comment

Welcome Paul, seems your story of being off the bike is common much like the rest of us.

Just get out on the bike, when it's sorted and enjoy it

Oh and book yourself onto the next newbie ride

Comment

If the right side is the damper side (has the controls for rebound and compression on it) then it could be the side with the most oil in (depending on model), so with initial use it could be jettisoning some oil either due to excess or bedding in. If in doubt I'd still send it off and let them check it over

Comment

Paul mentioned to me that the fox forks may have a recall on them ,we're going for a spin ( billinge blast aka Mecca) on Sunday .i will have a look at the forks and see if it looks like a problem or just excess oil been jettisoned.
                        on the seventh day he rode ,and the lord said to me come fourth and i shall give you eternal life, i came fifth and won a toaster.

I dont get flashbacks i'm still there

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, it helps having people's experience on hand. Thinking about it, the rebound adjustment is on the right from leg, the air valve on the left. The fork is a Fox Float 32 CTD, I have checked with Fox and the fork is not part of the recall so I think I'm just gonna ride it hard (as hard as my current rusty, lacking in confidence state allows) and see how it goes.

If there are a few joining us on Sunday Neil I can get some opinions and take things from there. In the future I plan to get on the spaners and do my own servicing on the bike. £108 Fox want for a service (non warranty just general maintenance), yeah right!!! Like I'm gonna pay that.

Cheers
                          Paul.

Comment

Having been a Warranty Manager for a large cycle retailer for a few years up until 2013 I find the fact your local shop blaming Madison for a six week delay to be very odd. I had a very good working relationship with Madison's warranty team and their turnaround time was excellent so six weeks for a mech claim does seem to be totally against the norm. Whilst I'm not saying your LBS were lying I would suggest that possibly it took them longer to return the mech or they didn't follow the correct procedure that Madison have in place with retailers for warranty.

Comment

Working...
                            X