Welcome to the website of The Woollybacks Mountain Bike Club. We are an active club of around 150 male and female members and although the history of the club started in St Helens, we now draw our membership from all over the North West of England including, Wigan, Warrington, Manchester, Preston and Liverpool.
The club rides every Thursday evening all year round for a local 2-3 hour blast, including Delamere, Rivington, Darwen and many other local routes. We have bigger full day rides every second Sunday all year round. We regularly ride routes throughout the North West; our most popular riding areas are the Peak district, North Wales, the Yorkshire Dales the Pennines, and the Lake District, all rides are guided by a ride leader, so you simply follow the lead and discover the beauty of natural trails riding. We also store and share route information through our website as we use GPS and memory map to plot and store routes so others can follow them. Unlike the magazines all our routes are bonafide and you can be sure that if we recommend them we have ridden and enjoyed them ourselves.Members regularly arrange other rides on an informal basis via the club forum. In fact if you wanted to you could ride pretty much all week every week!
Also the forum is the hub of the club with media, pictures, and a weath of useful information available to members to advise on all aspects of mountain biking, lively discussion often ensues and all is good humoured.
The club arranges many weekends and weeklong holidays in popular mountain bike destinations, including weekends to the Lakes, South Wales, the Scottish 7 Stanes, and also downhilling in the Alps.
The club is a well humoured and relaxed environment to be in and member share a wealth of advice and expertise to help each other out. We are a sociable bunch and enjoy a nice crisp pint after a hard days riding. All we ask in return for membership to 'The Woollybacks' is £15 in the first year which includes an ICE (In Case of Emergency) sticker, and £10 a year after that to help cover running costs and club equipment. The club is not a business and is run by riders for riders. The committee give their time to run the club for free and all membership money generated supports the running of the club.
- So do you want to ride with the best club in the North West?
- Are you fed up of riding the same trails on your own, or trail centres week in and week out and want to broaden and improve your riding?
- Do you have your own transport?
- Do you want to ride up and down proper mountains on some of the best routes the country has to offer?
- Then have a good look and explore some of our club news stories and ride reviews and if you like what you see get in touch with us by email or register on the forum and introduce yourself. It may just be the best move you and your bike make.