Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! Newbie, need to get fit.

I wanted to introduce myself.
    I am new to living in Manchester. Just sold my house in Leeds and so am now living over here full time.
    I used to do a bit of biking but haven't been out in a while. I've been to Dalby Forest in the past, on the red route. Would that level of riding be suitable to meet your standards?
    After reading your forum it looks like I need to do a bit of work on my fitness before coming on a Newbie ride.
    Hope to meet you all soon.
    When and where is the next Newbie ride? If it's been planned yet?!

Leonie

Welcome to the club leonie. I'm sure the next newbie ride will be posted soon, a level of fitness is expected so people aren't hanging around on a club ride during winter, for example, but I'm sure you'll be fine. They are normally 12-15mile with around 1500ft of climbing

Catch ya soon

Comment

Welcome 😊

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the club

Comment

Welcome, hope to see you on a ride soon

Comment

Hi Leonie, welcome to the forum.

Like Phil says, about 12-15 miles with enough energy to climb a few hills along the way will see you through. Red route skills will be fine - I've never ridden Dalby myself but we make sure that attempting anything technical on the trails is your choice - ride within your own comfort zone, walk it if you need to....until you decide not to!

The April Newbie ride will be posted up in the next week or so, look forwards to seeing you there!

Comment

Hi Leonie,
              I'm in Salford, so it's great to see another local looking to join :-) There aren't many mtb trails & routes on our doorstep - invariably I have to take the bike in the car. But riding with the club is always friendly and a great way to improve your fitness.

Clayton Vale is very handy and a good trail - that's where I got started myself. But be aware that it's also a den of thieves: eg. one Woolly's member had their bike stolen right next to them while getting a jacket from the car. Sadly, the rule there has to be: never let your bike out of your sight - whatsoever.
              What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Comment

Welcome Leonie!

Comment

Hi Leonie, welcome to the club.
                  Sounds like you'll be fine, just get some miles in the legs but ideally you should buddy-up with someone if you ride trails; safety in numbers and all that.
                  There's also Phillips park which is short & sweet but like Andrew has said sadly we have a fair few scum bags in the area so be very secure with your bike and yourself.

The intro rides are great as you'll meet a few members and buddy-up with the other new guys, once youre in you can post up your own rides and jump on other meet ups.

Paul.

Comment

Welcome

most rides can b as hard or easy as you like, we certainly aren't all downhill racers
                    I used to be faster...…...

Comment

I've just had chance to read your replies. Thanks for the info. It's good to get a bit of local knowledge.
                      I can't believe someone had their bike stolen from right next to them- whoever did it is a cheeky beggar!!
                      Looking forward to meeting you all at some point.
                      I'll work on the fitness and be out in the next few months.
                      xx

Comment

Working...
                      X