Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARS for bikes (oh, and family)

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start a new job in manchester meaning some serious daily mileage and time spent sat in traffic.
    I'm after a new car for the journey, looking at something fairly robust, comfy, maybe a little luxurious that can take stuff, the family, and bikes (roof/rear).

I've been looking at the Skoda Yeti Outdoor, Kia Soul, Peugeot Partner, Ford Transit Connect Tourneo.

The Skoda Yeti has my eye, but not sure if it's the right one yet. I would love to hear some views on what everyones driving and thoughts on how the commute, kids and bikes fit. All recommendations welcome.

And because I know its going to be the first question, I reckon I'm topping out at £14k.

Thanks
    Ste

I also commute to Manchester and have kids, bikes n caravan. I have a Honda CR-V and find it great for everything. The bikes go straight in the boot with front wheel removed, 2 bikes easy go in like this but taking the rear off too and you can get 3 bikes in with 3 passengers, loads of room

Also 4x4 means you don't get stuck in all the snow we get over winter also 40mpg

No bikes on show when travelling either

Comment

You after new or 2nd hand?

After years of driving and many different cars, now that I have less money and I am not mechanically minded I've just bought a Dacia Logan MCV it has cruise control, Air con. Sat nav, DAB radio, usb socket for music and it's big enough for me to lay down flat and sleep in along with my bike at events. My cx bike fits in with both wheels in place.
      5 year warranty and breakdown cover, petrol doing 46mpg and for your money once you've bought it brand new you'll still have money left for a bloody good bike.
      Ok so it's not "cool" but it's (slightly) better looking than those on your list ;-)
      All the best

Comment

Steve. If you working in the centre and unless you need the car for the job I would seriously consider getting the train to work. The commute in to Manchester by road is soul destroying.

Mondeo estate is a car worth looking at.

Comment

Agree with Paul on the commute to the city. Unless you get a motorbike and a car...

Comment

18 minutes from Newton Le Willows on the train and 4 per hour. I only take the train in now but, I do work city centre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Dave

Comment

Skoda superb estate is far better than the yeti, I've had both... and still have the better one

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by ants; 18-07-2017, 12:08.

Comment

I've had two passat estates, my latest a 2.0tdi Bluemotion is excellent.

Everything you describe and 55-60mpg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Ford Smax worth a look, good all-rounder 7 seats, plenty space. Not quite as good on fuel.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pringle Paul View Post
                    Steve. If you working in the centre and unless you need the car for the job I would seriously consider getting the train to work. The commute in to Manchester by road is soul destroying.

Mondeo estate is a car worth looking at.
                    +1 on both points
                    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity

Comment

In the same predicament myself at the mo. Have been looking a a Skoda Octavia estate, but anything other than the VRS looks like a taxi!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had a Skoda octavia vrs estate for five years great all round car

Comment

Originally posted by Disco_Stu View Post
                          I've had two passat estates, my latest a 2.0tdi Bluemotion is excellent.

Everything you describe and 55-60mpg.
                          Plus 1 for a Passat, very happy with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxpower View Post
                            I've had a Skoda octavia vrs estate for five years great all round car
                            Petrol or diesel? Don't do enough miles to warrant a diesel.

Apologies for thread hijack

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X