Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly advice for Shin, knee, elbow protection

Hi All,

In prep for some more adventurous rides, can you please point me in the right direction for good quality MTB protection, budget needs to be keen not low end but not a top end solution. what do you recommend as shoes / clips / pedals too as I tend to ride with old fashioned toe straps, park up on a long ride, lock the bike & take a run. This means I currently use a good running shoe & not a MTB bike type.

Clearly this will change when I'm a fully fledged WoollyBack Rascal....

Cheers
    ME

For pedals you wont go far wrong with these from time:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/time-atac-mx2-mtb-pedals/

Apparantley you can run in these shoes with clipless feature, but their is always going to be a compromise:
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pearl-Izumi...aAt58EALw_wcB#

As for Pads everyone is built different so its what suits and does not rub your skin off!!
    I find POC the best but they are very spendy £££
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p...||prd|477918UK
    Last edited by Choff; 19-09-2017, 10:35.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity

Comment

If you're going for clip pedals then not sure why you would go anywhere else other than Shimano M520 or M530. Cheap and chips and last forever.

Found POC pads very uncomfortable as well as insanely expensive.

Recommend a trip to Leisure Lakes in Bury where you can try on a lot of stuff before you buy.

Comment

IXS pads are very comfy

Comment

I've found the 661 and 7idp ranges to be pretty good and well priced. I've recently bought new 661 elbows for under 20 quid in a sale.

As for shoes, I use Shimano AM 41 for flat pedals, I don't clip in anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice to know I'm not the only rider still using toe straps.
            Ride Free...

Comment

Hi All,

Many thanks for this feedback, I may well hang on till I meet up with you at a newby ride & suss out which, what, why etc..

Comment

Fox Launch stuff is good and I find it comfortable. Knee pads look bulky, but once there on I forgot all about them.
                Instagram

Strava

Comment

I have a set of knee/shin Fox Launch Pro pads size Large that are too big for me and slide down I'm selling. If you're at the newbie ride this Sunday you can try them if you like. Great pads, really comfy, don't notice they're on when pedaling which is my main gripe with pads (when they're in the right place that is, but sadly my legs are too skinny for them, since bought the next size down and they're great)

Comment

I like knee/shin combos (I tend to fall off rather a lot!):
                    - combo helps keep knee pad in place,
                    - shins are great against pedal pins, as well as small rocks flying up on fast descents.
                    I'm using some Brand X, which I find comfortable and effective.
                    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_MTB View Post
                      I like knee/shin combos (I tend to fall off rather a lot!):
                      - combo helps keep knee pad in place,
                      - shins are great against pedal pins, as well as small rocks flying up on fast descents.
                      I'm using some Brand X, which I find comfortable and effective.
                      Worth mentioning that Andrew and I did a big ride last week. My 661 D30 knee pads were giving me grief (rubbing) and I had to take them off. I'd echo Andrew's comments around the shin guard as well. When I'm riding on flats I've taken to wearing football shin pads as the worst pain that I can recall (kidney stones aside) is flat pedals hitting the shin and that was as a kid. They have saved me from some significant rock strikes as well in the last few weeks.

Comment

hey, i just bought some Fox Enduro pads & the Fox enduro elbow pads, they are not really for hardcore DH stuff as they are not hard shell, so they will not protect you if you smash your knee or elbow on a rock! but they will protect you from small impacts/grazes etc, the padding is adequate & they are VERY comfy (after 5 min you will forget your wearing them).. a little pricey but imo well worth it. I also had the RaceFace Charge Sub Zero knee pads.. Again they are not for the hardcore DH stuff as they are not hard shell but for trails & general stuff they are great, they are comfy but not as comfy as the fox which was why i swapped out, hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                        X