Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachel - completely new!

Hi everyone!

My name is Rachel and I'm 26 and just moved to Crewe two weeks ago from the Norfolk area.

So currently I'm just riding a mountain bike given to me by my brother who prefers road cycling and I am using this bike to commute 40mins to work and back only and just generally cycling around my area aimlessly.

I am new to this area and the North of England overall and have no idea about group cycling. I just find that I really enjoy riding and would like to explore more about it and to meet new people who have likewise thoughts.

My fitness level is not the greatest I do go to the gym but I am hoping to improve myself via biking also.

So to sum up my knowledge is minimal, experience is 0 and fitness is below average.

I'm just wondering if this would be a good place for a beginner to get started with or if anyone could recommend me some things to do for now to get started on my way.

Thank you for reading!

Rachel

Hi Rachel and welcome.

Most of the mountain biking we as a club do isn't going to be suitable for you right now but that doesn't mean it won't be at some point in the future.

Recommend you try and get as many miles in as often as you can as well as including some up and down hills (hard in Crewe I appreciate).

If you fancy a safe off road route then you could head to Llandegla and have a ride around the Green route first and if you find that easy have a go at the Blue trail. It's all well signed.

Before you head out in to the wilderness I'd recommend making sure your bike is in good condition and suitable for the task at hand.

Good luck!

Comment

Hey Petern!

Haha yeah I thought that might be the case.

But thank you for the recommendation! I really appreciate it and will definitely check it out.

I'll be back with more miles and experience!

Comment

Hi Rachel and welcome to the club. Everyone needs to start somewhere, we’ve all been there. Just keep getting out and putting the miles in as Pete says then start adding the climbs. You fitness and ability will come on very quickly if you put the effort in. Just getting out and enjoying it is the main thing

Hope to see you out soon

Comment

Im not sure what there is down Crewe way but there are a few Breeze groups round this way https://www.letsride.co.uk/breeze

As Phil says we all started somewhere fitness and ability come with practice and enjoying it is the main thing

Comment

Welcome Rachel!

Ability can increase really quickly with a bit of practice so find some local paths (bridleways and trails) that take you out into the fields and woods and explore.

Always wear your helmet and take your phone when you ride alone.

Facebook might lead you to other MTB'ers in the Crewe area.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi rachel welcome to the club

Comment

Hey Guys

Thanks very much for your inputs. I'm going to try more to explore more around here also and see if I can hit up Llandegla and the peak district on the weekend since they are kind of close with a friend or something first and get me up and riding.

I've search alot around Crewe but everyone I've checked out are road cycling groups, maybe I could try and tag along? or maybe I just haven't searched hard enough.

But yes I'll get started right away!

Comment

Hi Rachel. GET TO DELAMERE FOREST.

It's about 35 minute drive from Crewe and it has almost everything you could want. It takes years to learn your way around but that's all part of the fun. You could stick to one of the 2 waymarked trails that are just gravel paths and a bit boring really, but the magic of Delamere is you can just ride anywhere you want.

Just make it up as you go along. You can even ride to the top of Old Pale which has an ace view and is quite a challenging climb. You will probably get lost but as long as you park somewhere prominent such as the train station or the Visitor Centre, you can always ask people for directions.

One or two small areas can get busy at weekend with walkers but ride a mile or 2 and no-one's about. You can print off a map before hand or buy one from the visitor centre, but unless you're an orienteerer it won't help much but at least it's a guide.

What's the downside? Parking's a bit expensive until you find the free spots or get an annual pass, but the worst thing is it can be quite muddy in winter but there is a bike wash just behind the Visitor Centre.
                  Ride Free...

Comment

Oooh thanks alot Phil! I just checked it out online looks amazing and it's so close as well! Definitely going to go for a ride here!

Comment

Welcome Rachel!

Comment

Keep at it Rachel

Experience is over rated. You get it immediately after you needed it When your experience level gets to 10, you'll have crashed more times than you care to remember. At 26 you've got plenty of years ahead of you to get the fitness and mountain bike riding is definitely rewarding. Ideally you need to find other like minded people and develop your fitness together.
                        Last edited by Pringle Paul; 22-02-2018, 23:44.

Comment

You are only 10 miles from the steepest hill in the area - Mow Cop

Get up and down there a few times and you'll be fit as a butchers dog There are some downhill MTB trails somewhere round there too but not sure exactly where, (go on strava heat map and they will probably show on there).

Comment

Originally posted by roch3lla View Post
                            Hi everyone!

My name is Rachel and I'm 26 and just moved to Crewe two weeks ago from the Norfolk area.

So currently I'm just riding a mountain bike given to me by my brother who prefers road cycling and I am using this bike to commute 40mins to work and back only and just generally cycling around my area aimlessly.

I am new to this area and the North of England overall and have no idea about group cycling. I just find that I really enjoy riding and would like to explore more about it and to meet new people who have likewise thoughts.

My fitness level is not the greatest I do go to the gym but I am hoping to improve myself via biking also.

So to sum up my knowledge is minimal, experience is 0 and fitness is below average.

I'm just wondering if this would be a good place for a beginner to get started with or if anyone could recommend me some things to do for now to get started on my way.

Thank you for reading!

Rachel
                            Hi Rachel, welcome to the group. I'm a newbie to the group myself, but been riding for a little while now. What kind of rodong are you interested in? Riding on the road or doing some off road stuff as well?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=291]Tracey[/MENTION]

any advice for Rachel?

welcome Rachel

R
                              carpe diem

It's rad, man!

Comment

Working...
                              X