Rear hub problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear hub problem

Bought a brand new Rockhopper expert in Nov 2015 and rode it 4 times when I had problems with the rear hub ,
    Took it back to local Specialized shop and they said it was a free wheel hub problem and sent for a new hub.
    Out on bike this Monday and the new hub has the same problems as the original one,
    Googled Rockhopper rear hub problem and my hair stood on end because there is hundreds of of complaints about this hub problem.
    Specialized don't seam to be bothered about this situation and keep telling me to take the bike back to the shop.
    How can you have hundreds of complaints about a bike part and not change the part.

Anyone heard about this hub problem .

I had same issues with my spesh free hub, think they're made of cheese they are supposed to be a none service item but I stripped mine, regrease n set it back up. I have since changed the wheels to hope hubs, job done

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Waterworth View Post
      Bought a brand new Rockhopper expert in Nov 2015 and rode it 4 times when I had problems with the rear hub ,
      Took it back to local Specialized shop and they said it was a free wheel hub problem and sent for a new hub.
      Out on bike this Monday and the new hub has the same problems as the original one,
      Googled Rockhopper rear hub problem and my hair stood on end because there is hundreds of of complaints about this hub problem.
      Specialized don't seam to be bothered about this situation and keep telling me to take the bike back to the shop.
      How can you have hundreds of complaints about a bike part and not change the part.

Anyone heard about this hub problem .
      Hi Paul

Unsure about how good / bad they are, but seeing as Phil as also had this problem, it would appear they are not the best. Unfortunately i dont think you can fit a shimano freehub (i dont think it will fit) which would have been the easy option. If i were you it looks like the best option is to change the complete wheel. You can ask on here if anyone has a spare they want to sell. I think this is the freehub -

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/prod...s%2fhub-spares

But looks like you might end up with the same problem if you fitted it,

So looks as though a replacement wheel c/w hub is probably your best bet.

Comment

Thank's for coming back.
        The bike shop concerned have been very good with me over the last three years but I have spent a lot of money with them.
        The shop have offered to change both wheels over to Mavic and no charge.
        They say the hub problem will not be there anymore and it's a bit of an upgrade.
        I do like everything about my rockhopper it was the hub situation so I have agreed and pick my bike up Monday.
        If I was a bike dealer I would be thinking about my links with Specialized .
        My last bike was a 20 year old Rockhopper made in the States.
        Now I believe they are made in China and here we go again.
        Thanks Phil
        And have a great weekend.

Comment

I did a bit of a write up about mine at the time, to keep me rolling I used one of these:-

Ritchley high flange pro free hub £20 from winstanleys

New wheels sound better tho, job done

Comment

Shop changing both Wheels to Mavic,
            Bit of an upgrade but no charge.

Thanks for coming back.
            Have a good weekend

Comment

Result i'd say

Comment

Specialized are known to send really crap wheels out the factory , We've had a mix of bikes in the shop with spoke/rim and hub/freewheel issues.

You have to kick up enough with them but they do actually get it sorted with enough stink. If you can get your LBS to back you up on any complaints you will get further as Spec wont argue with the bike shop as much as a customer.

They seem to just be cheesin it when it comes to wheel builds. Dont know if they PDI the wheels on bikes after they come from china to the warehouses. That being said i would love an Enduro frame.

Comment

Hi Jarred
                  Thanks for your advice the bike shop are to fit a pair of mavic wheels at no cost to me.
                  This problem with the rear hub seems to be pandemic.
                  I also have been having a look at Stump Jumper problems and things seem the same lots of problems.
                  I am a retired guy of 70 so this might be my last bike etc but if I was younger I would not buy Specialized
                  They have dropped into the mass production shite market.
                  Orange bikes look pretty good and they are just around the corner from me.
                  Any more problems with my bike and I will be calling round at the Orange shop.
                  By the way my last bike was a 20 year old Rockhopper that is still going strong now my son owns it.
                  Have a good weekend my friend.

Comment

Got my Rockhopper back
                    Two Mavic rims stainless steel spokes and Shimano hubs.
                    Old Stout wheels gone back to Specialized and no charge.
                    I would dare say it's a slight upgrade.
                    Spin the wheels and they sound like quality .
                    10 out of 10 for my local bike shop and thanks to Wooly Backs.

Comment

Working...
                    X