Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Warrington

Hello fellow Woollybacks,

Trying to get on the MTB train as bought a second hand bike last year and doing some downhill on my own at the moment. Looking for some friendly people in the area to start with, happy to do Delamere, Rivington, Lakes, Peak District, Wales and others.

I was riding along the canal lately to get some stamina and not too much actual xc or downhill and found Rivington quite challenging, but willing to do more and to push myself. Hope to meet you guys fairly soon on the trails.

Cheers, Mat

Hi Mat,

Plenty of local places to work on your stamina and skills before you venture out on a big ride.

Canal bashing is a good start especially as the days get shorter and the trails muddier.

Try and get yourself on to a Tuesday night Skyride. That'll give you a good idea of where your fitness is up to and is a good gauge of the basic level of fitness needed for a club ride.

A note that you will need a reasonable set of lights now for an evening ride. It's dark under the trees from ~8pm and most evening rides go until ~9pm.

Hope to see you soon.

PN

Comment

I've been doing the canal since I bought the Radon hardtail, just fancy something more entertaining. As I said, went to Rivi without an actual plan, quite spontaneously and found it too challenging, bit with some guidance maybe it would be better. That's why I'm planning to do Delamere more often which I know a bit better from walks.

I definitely want to join one of the Skyrides, but are they organised only in St Helens or the location changes? I'm off on holiday until Sunday, so will plan a meet up a I want to be a full-time member.

Cheers Pete

Comment

Originally posted by ThePodyMan View Post
        I've been doing the canal since I bought the Radon hardtail, just fancy something more entertaining. As I said, went to Rivi without an actual plan, quite spontaneously and found it too challenging, bit with some guidance maybe it would be better. That's why I'm planning to do Delamere more often which I know a bit better from walks.

I definitely want to join one of the Skyrides, but are they organised only in St Helens or the location changes? I'm off on holiday until Sunday, so will plan a meet up a I want to be a full-time member.

Cheers Pete
        Skyride always starts from the same place each week. It's a bit a club staple / institution with more or less the same basic route each week.

Depending on where you are in Warrington you can pedal up the sankey canal all the way to where the Skyride starts and then back again at the end. Quite a few people ride there and back.

When you say you found Rivi to challenging did you have a problem on the climbs or the descents? Rivi is another fairly regular club route.

Comment

I will probably pedal up to the location and take the route with you guys that way. I live on Old Hall, so the Sankey Canal is a good shout.

I parked up my car at the Pigeon tower car park and tried to climb with the rocky route, which was just too hard for doing uphill or downhill. Both just not for me yet, but I know there are different trails in Rivi, so hoping to see more and plan it better next time.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePodyMan View Post
            I will probably pedal up to the location and take the route with you guys that way. I live on Old Hall, so the Sankey Canal is a good shout.

I parked up my car at the Pigeon tower car park and tried to climb with the rocky route, which was just too hard for doing uphill or downhill. Both just not for me yet, but I know there are different trails in Rivi, so hoping to see more and plan it better next time.
            Ok climbing up from the Pigeon Tower is for sure a bad idea. You're better off parking on the road between the lower and upper barns and making your way up from there. It's a longer climb but the gradients are more mellow and the path is much smoother.

As for going back down from Pigeon Tower that is a legitimate way down although most club rides I've done at Rivi haven't opted to go that way and instead opted for a much steeper route though the terraced gardens back down the the barns. The decent from the Pigeon Tower is the sort of descent you fill find of a lot of club rides. Riding it on a hardtail won't ever be particularly pleasant though.

Try and make a Skyride if you can. Just keep an eye out for it being posted up. There is normally someone out every week but now and again it's not on for one reason or another. It's an easy pedal from Old Hall all the way up to the pub at the South end of Carr Mill dam

Comment

Well I have to say I feel a bit relieved now haha. I know I didn't plan my trip properly and it was a bit chaotic, but I felt really disappointed as I thought I know what I'm doing and yet the trail was well overwhelming. I will take this advice on and as I said, I know Rivi has many trails and that one probably was not the best for me as a beginner.

I wouldn't mind going with someone to just see what routes are available and someone actually giving advice on the spot. Initially I wanted to go to the Rivington Pike Tower and downhill from there, but I have to plan these uphills first.

Definitely will try the Skyride as soon as possible, I know it's usually at the Car Mill dam, so will give it a go soon. I will check the topic to see the route you take as well.

Again - thanks for your help mate.

Comment

Hi there new member. There's a Skyride on tmoz night. See forum for info.

Comment

Hi mat welcome to the club keep an eye out for tuesday and thursday night rides tues night normarly carr mill and thursdays st helens
                  I ride upto to carmill and back usually about 30 miles round trip

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm well aware about Tuesdays and Thursdays, so as soon as I come back from my holiday I'll catch you on one of these Skyrides, especially seeing so a few from Warrington.

Comment

Welcome fella [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X