Andy from Macclesfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy from Macclesfield

Hi All - nice site you have here. I'm a keen MTBer in my (early) sixties, retired now so able to get out 3 or 4 times a week. Ride mainly round the Peak District, easy off-road access from where I live. Usually ride around 20 miles or so, with the odd biggie going as far afield as Hayfield, Kinder, Edale areas. Ride a hardtail these days, and wife has an eMTB which has done marvels for my fitness levels - trying to keep in touch on the climbs!

Usually ride with 2 or 3 mates, all local. We all enjoy camping/caravanning so meet up for away-day events - ( Cannock Chase last week, well worth spending a couple of days down there, not just for the dedicated trails).

Have penciled in a visit to Delamere for early November, so any advice for routes would be welcome. The official trails seem a bit tame, will probably do those on arrival but looking for something a bit meatier for the second day - gpx routes would be ideal to save having to consult maps and backtrack. Also, recommendations for evening meals/pubs within walking distance of the caravan site (near railway station) would be welcome.

Cheers
    Andy

Welcome to the club pal, sounds like you'll fit in fine.

Regarding Delamere GPX trails, we'll have a few we can share with you, but it's difficult to follow in Dele because the trail entrance and exits are quite well hidden. There's loads to go at there though. Always better with local knowledge. There's a few in the club that know it well, myself included.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
    If paying anything, don't forget to pm me with details, what it is for, and by what method. Cheers.

Comment

Hi Andy,

Delamere is ace and there are loads of trails - none of them are marked though. You really need to go round a few times with [MENTION=299]artillerydave[/MENTION] or [MENTION=264]roger[/MENTION], they're like mobile dele satnavs....

If you can it's well worth it. I've ridden there a dozen times and would still find it very easy to get lost!

Comment

Thanks chaps - sounds like we should have a good time over there next week, even with the plan currently showing a day's shopping in Chester. If it stays damp underfoot I'll follow the tyre tracks - let's hope there's a few fat-wheel-boys boldly gone before.

Comment

I love Delly Andy. It's probably my favourite ride, but as others have said, it would be a lot better with a guide. I'm away otherwise I would have offered to show you round. If you do try to explore yourself, just try to stay around the perimeter. Accept you will get lost, but that's all part of the fun.

Not far from the campsite, you will see the aerial transmitters at the top of the hill. You can ride various ways up there and do a quick loop of the small woods on the other side.

It can be a bit slow and gloopy in winter and summer can be overgrown, but if you time it right, it's ace.
          Ride Free...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
            I love Delly Andy. It's probably my favourite ride, but as others have said, it would be a lot better with a guide. I'm away otherwise I would have offered to show you round. If you do try to explore yourself, just try to stay around the perimeter. Accept you will get lost, but that's all part of the fun.

Not far from the campsite, you will see the aerial transmitters at the top of the hill. You can ride various ways up there and do a quick loop of the small woods on the other side.

It can be a bit slow and gloopy in winter and summer can be overgrown, but if you time it right, it's ace.
            Reminder that Old Pale itself is closed for logging so all the downhill trails are gone

Comment

Working...
            X