New member looking to get started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member looking to get started

Hello I am Mark Grannyjones from the Hindley area so my regular riding is the technical riding around Rabbit Rocks, Haigh Hall, Bobs, Ashurst Beacon and Rivington. I also drive to all locations in the UK for rides and have now done very regular mountain biking for over 4 years.

I ride mid week day time and weekends.

I would like to get on some rides - How do I get started ?

All I can see is "Rides Open to non members"
    They are all evening rides. I don't really do evenings.

Is there anything going on mid week day time as that is the majority of my availability
    Last edited by Grannyjone; 31-05-2022, 09:57.

welcome.

majority of rides open to non members are mid week evening rides. there are occasionally weekend rides open but they're aren't that many of them.

there isn't much going on during mid week day time other than individual people doing their own thing based around their work patterns.

Comment

At the moment I know of a few people who I ride with mid week day time but the problem is they are only available to ride about once a month.
      I hardly ever bother going out if it's a solo.
      I have got good availability for weekends. 33% of Saturdays and 75% of Sundays.

Comment

Know the problem. It's one of the reasons I joined the club.

The clubs always had a dilemma around letting people join straight on to weekend rides.

We've had plenty of people come out with us who weren't fit enough even for the first climb of the day, spannered themselves as soon as it pointed downhill and / or turned up on a bike that wasn't mechanically sound or suitable for the days riding that was planned. Of course they generally talked a good game about their riding before they turned up! I'm not suggesting you fall in to any of those categories but I've no idea until you've had the chance to ride with us.

We used to run regular intro rides of a weekend but nobody was turning up so they've more or less stopped now.

We don't have the luxury of being able to put of graded rides where people can work their way up or find the level that suits them. Most rides are straight in at the deep end of requiring a very solid level of fitness and at the very least, capable descending abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by petern View Post
          Know the problem. It's one of the reasons I joined the club.

The clubs always had a dilemma around letting people join straight on to weekend rides.

We've had plenty of people come out with us who weren't fit enough even for the first climb of the day, spannered themselves as soon as it pointed downhill and / or turned up on a bike that wasn't mechanically sound or suitable for the days riding that was planned. Of course they generally talked a good game about their riding before they turned up! I'm not suggesting you fall in to any of those categories but I've no idea until you've had the chance to ride with us.

We used to run regular intro rides of a weekend but nobody was turning up so they've more or less stopped now.

We don't have the luxury of being able to put of graded rides where people can work their way up or find the level that suits them. Most rides are straight in at the deep end of requiring a very solid level of fitness and at the very least, capable descending abilities.

I'm nowhere near to falling into any of those categories. I know exactly the type of rider who you mean though - I'm keen to avoid them as well.

This is an example of the sort of pace I ride at:
          https://www.strava.com/activities/2754954169

And I've only spannered myself on a descent once in 4 years of riding 4000+ mountain bike miles a year, and that was in the French Alps.
          Last edited by Grannyjone; 23-11-2019, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Grannyjone View Post
            I'm nowhere near to falling into any of those categories. I know exactly the type of rider who you mean though - I'm keen to avoid them as well.

This is an example of the sort of pace I ride at:
            https://www.strava.com/activities/2754954169

And I've only spannered myself on a descent once in 4 years of riding 4000+ mountain bike miles a year, and that was in the French Alps.
            Sent you a private message

Comment

Tough route in those conditions. I'm sure Pete will get you sorted.

I've pinched your GPX [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Comment

I've pinched your GPX
                There are a few changes I would make to that route if I was to do it again - there were 2 places that were hideously muddy that I now know can easily be avoided

Comment

I no longer work Fridays and was thinking about starting a regular mid week ride. I don't know how much interest there will be so close to the weekend.

Going for a quick ride around Rivington today

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
                  The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Only just seen this
                    I ride Fridays some times.
                    Weekdays I'm probably free almost half of the time.
                    Today I did a local Wigan ride 30k

I'm hoping to attend the Sunday ride to Bold so should be able to get started now
                    Last edited by Grannyjone; 29-11-2019, 18:20.

Comment

Here is yesterday's ride. Would be looking to do similar rides on Friday's

https://strava.app.link/u2DcIMJZ11

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
                      The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Here is yesterday's ride. Would be looking to do similar rides on Friday's
                        https://strava.app.link/u2DcIMJZ11
                        I won't be able to get out every Friday, but about half of Friday's will be possible, depending on weather.

This was my ride on Friday:
                        https://www.strava.com/activities/2899636570

Everyone I ride with mid week daytime is on my Facebook group I started up called Rivington and District mountain bike rides. We actually ride elsewhere a lot as well, such as Wigan, Rammy, Rochdale, etc.
                        Rather than trying to contact people individually and find out who is out, we just post on this group.

Let me know if your interested I'll send you the link.
                        Last edited by Grannyjone; 02-12-2019, 21:42.

Comment

Working...
                        X